removing axel stub from 5 spd

wannabfast

Thai with a 78 in MN
does everyone use a slide hammer per factory manual? or do they use a pry bar to pop it out of the differential? i tried a screw driver/wedge and a small blunt object, but i have it on a bench at the moment and so i can only do so much leverage

I've always cheated

I've done this maybe a half-dozen times, and I've always cheated...

- First, on the driver's side, you can work it out by passing long bolts through the threaded holes in the stub axle so that they bear on the cover for the differential bearing, and then slowly screwing them in to force the stub shaft out.
OR
Very carefully pry it out, working on both sides against the bearing cover and never exerting enough force to bend the shaft.

- Then, once one of them is out, you can get the other one out by passing a long straight rod like a big screwdriver in through the differential so that it bears exactly on the center of the remaining shaft, and then tapping it out with a hammer. Be careful, and be very damn sure you know what the end of the rod is bearing on - if you screw up and hammer on any part of the differential, or anything except the end of the stub shaft, you can easily damage the differential.

Be aware that this procedure is NOT approved by Steve Hoelscher, and it's got to take a lot longer than using a slide hammer. My only excuse is that I don't do it often and I don't own a slide hammer. My feelings won't be hurt if
1) Steve yells at me for this answer
2) You decide to listen to Steve not me.

Darn... I plan on yanking the engine and tranny in the 83 pretty soon and didn't realize the axles were gonna need any 'yanking'! I'm pretty sure my slide hammer ended up moving to Fort Worth with my 240Z buddy. (I'll have to dig but I don't think I've seen it...)

Wanna know how I got the stub axles out of my miata diff? Well, when the pinion gear lost a chunk of it's teeth during hard acceleration in 2nd out of a corner, every time the pinion spun around and tried to engage the ring gear (which ain't pleasent sounding or feeling!!!) the resultant hammering back and forth of the differential assembly kicked both of them out of place! They were just hanging in there ready to come out.

I don't advise removing them that way!:mad:

No need to pull the stub axles

Darn... I plan on yanking the engine and tranny in the 83 pretty soon and didn't realize the axles were gonna need any 'yanking'!

No need to pull the stub axles if you're pulling the engine and tranny. Just undo the Allen-head bolts at the inboard CV joints. The stub shafts only have to come out if you're also planning on opening up the tranny... And then you will be starting with SteveH's "five-speed 101"

Got to agree with Steve on this one. So far you ..might.. have been lucky. Do understand the amount of force applied to the diff bearing cover and stub axle (side loaded) can easily reach a few thousand pounds.. and this cover is not designed to be loaded this way. The risk of cracking the housing is also very real beyond bending the stub axle when this is done.

A low cost and easy enough stub axle remover slide hammer can be made using a 3 or 5 pound "slide puller type dent puller"
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DENT...Z260695034049QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JEGS...itemZ310283950416QQptZOtherQ5fVehicleQ5fParts

by bolting a stub axle plate or bar that is no less than 0.25" thick steel of alum where the sheet metal screw of the dent puller, as shown in this image of the plate with two M8 cap screws.

exxediffstubaxleshammer.jpg

Eventually, I made a x1/9, 5 speed specific stub axle puller head to fit a commercial slide hammer.

exxediffstubaxleshammer.jpg

One shot of grease will last the life of the tool.. trust me on this...

There has not been a stub axle that this puller has not been able to remove. The most notable one was a transaxle that grenaded the diff carrier. The stub axle circlip were jammed into the broken off carrier bits which required a LOT of pounding.. eventually, the bits came out.

Regardless, if you're going to take apart a 5 speed transaxle, make stub axle puller head for the slide hammer, it is well worth it and will save a lot of frustration and damaged parts in the process.

I'll see if I can dig up the dent puller_stub axle puller and post and image.

Bernice

It even has a grease fitting!!!! Awesome!

Back