Replacing 3rd gear baulk rings/syncros-- what do I need to order?

Spank

Low Mileage
I've never delved into one of these, but my Yugo has a 3rd gear zzzzrrrrccchhhhk if I try to shift into 3rd too quickly.

My history with other foreign cars/ minis tells me it's got worn baulk rings.

But this isn't a mini, so I'm not sure if this even has what I'm calling baulk rings. If it were a mini, I'd just open it up and swap around the baulk rings and put the crappy one on 1st gear. For my intended purpose, I won't be needing 1st anyways.

I need to do this job next week. What practically should I order (and from whom) if I ONLY want to fix that one issue (and whatever other common issue it is surely to need)? Am I asking for trouble because it requires a small apartment full of specialty tools?

I'm on a time constraint and a minimal budget to fix only what it needs, and yes, I'm asking for help with a "Band -aid" repair. Apologies if that offends anyone.

It's an 88 yugo 4-speed manual.

Thanks for any insight.

Looking at the online yugoparts catalog, I am seeing the syncro (baulk ring) possibly as a 3-piece deal??

I see part 7627578 as the wear item (presumably) that backs up against the 3rd gear. But parts 4183876 "Spring Syncro" and 4183873 "key syncro" and 4183877 "guard syncro" are also shown. Are these items I'll need for the 3rd gear side, or are the "key" and "guard" exclusive to the 4th gear side?

Thanks for any help

Back