Requested 1p0 feature (+search update)

User1

RETIRED Admin, pm OFF
While I've been working away on the 1p0 archive system (rip done, uploads done -minus file touchups-, a number of server issues worked out, site mapped, working on getting a functional search set up) I've had a few requests along the lines of "hey MAC, why cant we see when anyone else is in there?"

So not exactly a mission critical element, but added as a little crowd pleaser... :)

newmkv.jpg

:D :cool:

http://xwebarchives.org/1p0/

Last edited:
ps re: search

Until I get a more adequate solution worked out I did find a way to hopefully improve (eg: above zero) our google results in there in the meantime. I built a comprehensive sitemap file pack for google to crawl instead since its free web crawl was choking on the sheer size. 150k+ post files, probably about half a million nav links. The maplist is thousands of pages worth of text at one url per line, but google seems to be doing a much faster crawl now. I did have to start it over today though due to setting it up with the map files but hopefully in a couple weeks or so it will be at least somewhat better than worthless :rolleyes: in the meantime I'll keep at pursuing alternatives on the server hosted search front...

So... you are indeed alive and sorta "well"...

When you have a free moment... would ya call or e-mail me direct?

Thanks...

alive

Yep I am alive, been working most every day behind the scenes on the mirror archive and thus not reading/active in the live forum much lately. Sent you an email :)

site hosted search

Upon examining the alternatives, I've chosen mnoGoSearch-3.3.8 to be installed on the 1p0 archive server to replace google's custom search module. This is because google's search mod even ideally will only ever crawl an incomplete portion of the archives, in other words, even with the fancy logo results will still only ever be about as good as the original crappy old N54 search. On the other hand mnoGoSearch hosted on the archive server itself and admin-ed by us will (*in theory*) enable us -for the first time in the history of xweb- to search the WHOLE archive. Imagine what that would be like! :hmm: :eyepop:

More details to come soon

There was something wrong with the N54 search??

I never noticed.

OH CRAP!!! That probably means there is something wrong with me. :eyepop:

haha

Jim there is nothing wrong with you, you just happen to have a clairvoyant esp-style third eye for the N54 search engine. I've never understood how you were able to turn up results in there that aren't even being indexed :confuse2: all I know is I've been darn glad to have you around! I'm hoping with the addition of a real engine with a full index we can just make everyone's (including yours) lives that much easier :clap: ;)

newqv8.jpg

AUGH!!!

After all this bs getting the archive set up, and going through the joy of discovering google's going to be basically useless (unless we pay them $2k to crawl the whole thing) and figuring out what we can run on our own to make this whole turkey fly, now, I've just been informed by the server host that they object to us running a hosted engine on the archive server unless we go "vps" which would be unjustifiably expensive for the expected level of traffic involved. So now I am having an argument with the archive host (not the live forum server host, they're different at the moment) to convince them to let us do it, and if they say no again, we might end up having to break that relationship, delete everything I just built, and start all over with a different archive host that will not object to us running mnogosearch... :mad2::censored::wall: ...well, at least we'd restart already having the rip in the bag - stay tuned...

Back