Right blinker doesn't work if headlights are on???

Your headlights are draining too much from...

your wire harness.
This is because of degradation in the connections.
You need a headlight relay harness to remove the load of your headlights from your car's harness.
You should also insure you have a 4Ga ground wire from your battery to the chassis. (a $5 item)
Did you run another 10Ga wire from your + Battery to your fuse box? (to the large plastic union inside the car near the fuse box) Another $5 item.
All necessary to help with the problem(s) that you describe.

Thanks Bob,

I do have a 4Ga wire from the negative terminal on the battery to the chassis in the front trunk if that is the one you are referring to. No I haven't ran a + wire from battery to fuse panel yet. As for the headlight relay harness, I found this one on Ebay and am attaching the link which claims to be for Fiat X1/9 ? Would I need one for each headlight or would I even need to concern myself with the left side headlight as the left side headlight and blinker work perfect.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CERAMIC-H4-HEADLIGHT-RELAY-WIRING-HARNESS-2-HEADLAMP-LIGHT-BULB-SOCKET-PLUGS-7-/330800147706?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AFiat%7CModel%3AX-1%2F9&hash=item4d0539acfa&vxp=mtr

'PeteX1/9

After having examined the Ebay listing more closely I believe the harness is ready for both right and left headlights so I'm guessing that one harness would be enough but again would I need to connect the left headlight to the harness as that side is working perfectly or should I anyways since the wiring it ready for it?

Secondly as for the + wire from the battery to the fuse panel union will it be obvious when I stick my head under there as to where to attach the wire or should I search around for a picture of what I'd be looking for?

Last edited:
Looks like it will work

That might be your answer.
They're using a single set of relays and running an extension to the other headlight.
I'm unsure of the gauge of wire they're using but you only need a 14Ga wire to power both headlights to a 15 amp load.
On mine I use separate relays for each and a heavier gauge of wire (which more than doubled the cost) to get max power to the lights,
but this unit looks like it will work.
You should get it and report back to us with the results. :)
Anything is better than the stock X1/9 setup.

It will be fairly obvious when you double-up in the + battery wire.
You'll see heavy gauge brown wires collecting to a large white plastic union.

I found pictures online of the BWM for late model X's (after '86 I believe) and found a picture of the BWM for the style like my '84X but I haven't been able to find a picture for the BWM connection on the '74X with the fuse panel on the driver's side under the dash, is it still a white plastic union like on my '84X ???

'PeteX1/9

So I bought the 10 gauge brown wire and ran it to the fuse panel where I noticed another 10 gauge brown wire running through a 25amp inline fuse to the panel and wondered where is this coming from and to my surprise and embarrasement when I checked the battery again I noticed that there already was a brown wire mod done to the car that I never noticed as the brown wire was wrapped in black electrical tape all the way to the positive terminal.

So.....

Since I already had a brown wire running from the battery to the fuse panel I ran it anyways, is that a bad thing to have TWO brown wire mods done to the fuse panel????

In conclusion the right blinker still doesn't work when the headlights are on but I have ordered a headlight relay harness to hopefully that will fix the issue.

'PeteX1/9

Peter, to your surprise...

That "first" brown wire you found is the original wire.
The new one you put in is actually supposed to help that old wire. :grin:
In other words, you're (now) supposed to have 2 heavy wires, just as you (now) see.
This doubles-up on the current to the car.
You should also be seeing a difference now that the 2nd wire is installed.
(difference being less of a voltage drop throughout your car)

Thanks Bob,
Oh that would make sense on how neat and organized the first brown wire I found was installed. Well hopefully between the BWM and the relay harness the problem will be fixed.:excited:

'PeteX1/9

If the headlight relay harness redirects the headlight ground to the body it should solve the problem. At least, until the bad ground gets even worse and can't support the current of the turn signal bulb either, which may be quite a while.

Thanks Bob,
Oh that would make sense on how neat and organized the first brown wire I found was installed. Well hopefully between the BWM and the relay harness the problem will be fixed.:excited:

'PeteX1/9

Update....

Still waiting for the relay harness to arrive but after having checked and cleaned all ground connections the right blinker does work now even with the headlights on but it blinks at about half the speed of the left side like it's getting less voltage so I'm hoping that the relay harness will fix all issues.:):headbang:

'PeteX1/9

Back