RIP: Robert Lowell Swenson, PBS

willrace4beer

True Classic
Garden Grove racing enthusiast killed in dune buggy crash
Robert Lowell Swenson, 81, an avid racer and respected figure in the racing community, died in a fatal crash at a popular Idaho tourist spot.
By DEEPA BHARATH
The Orange County Register

Robert Lowell Swenson, a long-time race car driver and Orange County business owner, died in a dune buggy crash at the sand dunes west of St. Anthony in Idaho, Fremont County officials said. Swenson was 81.An avid racer, Swenson couldn't have picked a better way to say good-bye, said his long-time friend Les Phillips, president of the Buttonwillow Race Track near Bakersfield.

"It's something you'd hear from anyone who is as involved in racing as Bob was," Phillips said. "You'd rather have an incident than end up in the hospital or an old people's home."Fremont dispatchers got the call Wednesday about a man who had crashed at the sand dunes at about 1 p.m., Sheriff Len Humphries said. Emergency personnel tried to resuscitate Swenson, but were unsuccessful, Humphries said. Swenson, a Garden Grove resident, was pronounced dead at the scene.

Humphries said Swenson’s dune buggy apparently went over the top of a sand dune, became air-borne and landed upside down after the dune buggy rolled over. Swenson was found still buckled in although the vehicle was upside down, he said.

Phillips said Swenson was a well-respected and notable figure at the California Sports Car Club and the Sports Car Club of America. He raced at the club level until three years ago, Phillips said.Steve Henry, Swenson's long-time friend and business partner at PBS Engineering, said he hooked up the trailer to Swenson's motor home and sent him and his family off to Idaho on their much-anticipated vacation last week.

"This was a shock, no one saw it coming," he said.Henry said Swenson was riding the dune buggy with his son, Richard, following behind him. But no one saw how the crash occurred, he said.

Swenson and his brother, Paul Swenson, owned PBS Engineering in Garden Grove, where they design transmission systems. However, Swenson has been semi-retired for the last few years, Henry said. Riding dune buggies was something Swenson took over more recently and it was a father-son activity for him and Richard, Henry said."He was a great all-around guy," he said. Swenson hated memorials and funerals, so there won't be one for him, Henry said. He will be cremated and his ashes will be scattered in specific locations "where he really had a good time," he said."

He went quietly, quickly and without a fuss – just as he would've liked to go," Henry said.Swenson is survived by his wife, Carol, and his sons Richard and Eric. The family is asking that no flowers be sent in keeping with Swenson's wish. E-mails may be sent to
info*pbseng. com or notes may be mailed to PBS Engineering, 11602 Anabel St. Garden Grove, CA 92843.

I just sent an email to PBS expressing my condolences. I never met him, but did speak with him several times in the late 70s/early 80s and purchased a stroker kit, BVH, dual Weber setup, etc. from PBS. I agree he was a real gentleman and I think he was driven by a true intellectual quest and passion for the car hobby (rather than by a big ego like some others we often meet). His spirit rides along in a lot of X1/9s.

Back