Rotary Exhaust.

fastx19

Administrator
Finally got the exhaust done on the Rotary X. What a Pita. A rotary is louder than hell and requires quite a bit of stuff to quite it down. The shiny silver piece is a presilencer. The main pipe is 3" an the two exhaust tips are 2 1/2"

One of the whole exhaust and two of what it looks like from the back.

CIMG5845.jpg

CIMG5844.jpg

CIMG5843.jpg

Eric

how well does that rotary fit in there, anyways?

and what tranny did you use?

enquiring minds want to know

jim

The original Mazda rotaries sent to the USA in the RX-2 and RX-3 (my first car was a '73 RX-3 wagon) had a "thermal reactor" hung on the outside of the block that took air injection and as I recall the write-ups, the combustion process that started in the engine was completed in the thermal reactor.

If anyone does not know, those rotaries were very dirty from an unburned hydrocarbon standpoint (which would account for their lousy gas mileage), so that's what they had to do. The low combustion temp however was good for producing lower oxides of nitrogen.

I suppose this acted as an effective pre-muffler too because I don't remember my car having any extra silencers/mufflers over and above what would have been the contemporary norm.

Downward angle of exhaust...

...oughta make a damfine leaf blower.

Looking fine there E-strong.
Finer than a new set of mudbog tires.

Jim...

To answer your questions, how well does it fit? Pretty well. In size the motor is slightly shorter in length than the stock engine and about half as tall.

I have it connected to a Fiero 5 speed at this time.

The $$$ part is the custom drive shafts required for this little guy. Lots of money there as the passenger side axle needs a custom intermediate shaft.

However, this is not something I would recommend for a daily driver combination. I would instead suggest the conversion done by Matt.

I also have an Uno Turbo X and I love it however the Uno motors are getting long in the tooth and parts are probably going to be a pita in a number of years.

Eric

Thanks Mike!

The car is in Salem right now, you should come on down and check it out. We hope to have it running again with the new axle this weekend.

Eric

Eric... nicely done...

I hate the fact that ya hadta install so many "bandaids" to effect a cure... but ya tucked it all in there nicely.

Congrats!

Band aids?

Sorry, I am not following. What are you referring to as band aids? Just curious.

Oh... what I meant was...

... simply that one muffler was not sufficient and you had to add the "presilencer"...

Obviously, you are not the first to haveta do this as Mazda themselves were having trouble with it also.

"Bandaid" probably is not the best term... it just popped into my head when I thought about... well if one doesn't work, then I gotta slap on another, then possibly another... kinda thing. Like applying field dressings on top of field dressings to try and stop the bleeding.

Your work though... doesn't look anything like that or that it was slapped together. Like I said, a well done package.

If it sounds like I'm tap-dancing a bit here... well I am. I never meant anything derrogatory or demeaning... just thought it was a shame there was not ONE muffler to do the job and another had to be added.

Thanks for letting me explain further...

The old RX-4 I had years ago had the HEAVIEST exhaust sytem I have ever seen! It was all stainless from the thermal reactor to the tailpipe (double walled at that!) and the muffler was HUGE! These things not only put out a lot of noise, but the exhausts run very hot. I'm not suprised at all on what Eric had to do.

In the IMSA days, the Downing Kudzu had a muffler that was the entire length of the rocker panel and about 12" in diamteter to meet the noise requirements. Man, could that thing blow flames out the side on downshifts! (about 4 feet!)

HAHAHA... My Lord, John...

I guess they forgot all about the other side of the "overall equation" meaning that WEIGHT should be considered.

Back