rotation verification

vwchemist

Low Mileage
Hi, I'm building a 600 Multipla to be a driver. I bought a rebuilt 903cc 850 engine for it assuming it would come set up for CCW rotation, which I would have to reverse to run CW using a 127 cam, oil pump drive, etc. Now that the engine is here it appears already set up to run CW. The alternator has a CW arrow, the rear oil seal has a CW arrow, and it has a 127 style water pump that seems ready to run CW.

Before I buy parts to change things, is there a straightforward way to verify the direction this is set up to run?

Thank you for the help!

Brian

If it uses a 127 style water pump (and the block has that pattern) then it was born for CW rotation, and the perfect swap candidate for a 600 re-power.

127 is a 100GL engine

SteveC

actually the rear seal should have a CCW arrow, the engine turns CW from the front, so CCW when viewed from the rear.... it should use the same seal as the SOHC 86 x 64 x 8 with CCW rotation.

an alternator will work in either rotation, just the "fan" wont push air thru but "pull"

a 127 water pump is absolutely set for CW rotation engine, but if run backwards will still pump, but not very efficiently.

the definitive check I guess would be to pull the sump or the oil pump /distributor drive shaft and check the cam / oil pump shaft for the cut of the gear, and compare it to a known 850 (CCW rotation) part, the spur gear is cut opposite.

SteveC

Back