Rust free 850 FS

Yeah...

Not mine, saw this at Ecology A/P on tuesday. I have had 6 850's and this ain't bad regarding corrosion. Looks like previous owner intended to restore and , well you know the rest of the story...
http://youtu.be/kbA3Wuy9onc

That's the 850 I saw a little while ago at the Rialto Ecology A/P! I watched them put it into the yard on Tuesday, Dec. 4th, as I just happened to be there looking for a 128 that I was told would be there (turns out I was at the wrong Ecology location for that). This was when I was looking for a 128 heater core for Chris Saul (karhawk):

http://forum.mirafiori.com/mirafior....Cars_0&msg=33902&show=all&depth=all&frames=1

It is a fairly nice & solid body, as you said it looks like someone's stalled project. It was missing nearly all of the interior, the removable body panels (hood, tonneau & engine lid), windshield, bumpers & front/rear lights. It had a full set of aftermarket "5-slot" type aluminum wheels on it, which I removed & stuffed vertically into the front trunk (briefly visible in your video). I pulled the engine apart to get the cylinder head & oil pan, & carefully put all the other parts on the back seat in case anyone else wanted them. It has the desirable late-type 903 engine block (with pressurized center main bearing), but the #4 (& maybe #3) piston was seized (rusted in place) due to water getting into the cylinder(s) via the open carb & open valve(s). I did manage to get a few items for myself & for other folks, & might go back for a few more minor items depending on the rain situation.

This was one of those cars that I felt sorta sad to see there at the yard. It wasn't wrecked or rusted-out. It's a good fairly-rust-free shell, a great platform to start with for anyone wanting to build up an 850 Spider (especially if they already own a rusted-out but otherwise good 850 Spider to swap needed parts from). If I had known about the car before it was sent to the junkyard, I most likely would've taken it off of the owners' hands just to at least save the chassis. Being an incomplete car, the owner probably didn't get paid very much for it by the junkyard (if at all). :(

Back