Sad Story of # 137AS0101771

Rupunzell

Bernice Loui
Recently while shopping for parts on ebay, note there was a Scorpion pedal box listing. These are not common and they appear when the car has been parted out. Contacted the seller to learn more about this and what other parts may be available.

Turns out this pedal box is from Lancia Scorpion# 137AS0101771. According to the seller, this 1977 has been in storage since the mid 80's and the owner passed away leaving the car to the estate. This Lancia appeared at a local auction in TN.. which the car did not sell. Soon after this, the Lancia ended in a parts yard where this ebay seller and another one picked off as many parts as possible before it was smooshed and sent off to some where to be made into who knows what.

The identity of this parts car appeared in the sellers listing of the short block which included images of the VIN# tags.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lancia-Shor...essories&fits=Make:Lancia&hash=item43bba7d3b0

This prompted me to look up the VIN# at the Lancia registry:
http://www.lanciabetamontecarlo.nl/Listmain/listmain.html

It appears that the car was originally from Florida, owned by an enthusiast, placed it in the Lancia registry, passed away while the car was in storage, did not find a proper care taker and sadly scrapped.

This is the story of so many Lancia Scorpions that were imported to the US. It is also a tale of what marketing image, reputation and lack of understanding will do to a specific car regardless of how brilliant, well-designed and great potential the design had.. even if it was un-finished and poorly marketed by it's creators..

This is the story of so many of Scorpions that were sold in the US.... even if there were about 1800 ever imported to the US.

Bernice

Makes one want to go and find another Montecarlo/Scorpion to fix up! :mallet:

I had to sadly part one a few years ago. I still have the VIN tags. If someone wants them let me know....

Shipping and they are to the first one who says dibs

I recently met up with the owner of the last Scorpion #1805 at the Fathers Day Italian car show in Vancouver BC. He brought his car and it was a real treat to have another Scorpion present other than mine.

Yes, it is very sad when you see these iconic cars disappear off the face of the earth forever. There are still a few around that just sit in someones garage or yard. The owners are procrastinators...who will most likely NEVER put forth the time and money to make their cars road worthy again. Instead, they will make attempts to sell them, but for ridiculous amounts of money!
I've had a couple of experiences here in BC where I've made realistic offers on cars that have been sitting for 20+ years while the owners swear the engine block is gold plated.

I have spent thousands on #1700 and she's worth every penny!!!

Tragic.

When I was much younger I worked for a car dealership that handled Fiats among other cars.

In the back lot, well away from customers, was a scorp that had cooked in an engine fire, melted the tires.

I just hate to see them go. I'd like one, they fit me better than an X1/9.

Back