Saratoga Top

Mark in Syracuse

Daily Driver
img00064m.jpg
A few years ago I had a chance to purchase this (I think it was a 76) nasty brown X. It was on ebay and the winning bidder fell through. I contacted the seller and he said he would take $700.

He told me that it came with two tops and his description for the second top was certainly a Saratoga top.

Unfortunately for me, I had ALL my cash tied up in a business and I could not swing the $700 for the car and shipping. The thought crossed my mind to buy the car, keep the top and resell the car...but it was brown, who wants a brown X and I know that I would have kept the car and drove it around.

Sad story for me but someone out there got a Saratoga top cheap and the bonus was a drivable X.

After the guy sold the car, I told him that the top itself was worth $800...now they are going for more than that.

img00064m.jpg

My first X was Sepia Brown,

same color as the one shown.
All cleaned up and shiny, they looked pretty good.
It wasn't a bad color in it's day. Now, for some reason most folks don't like it.

Any idea where it has gone?

I guess brown was a fashionable color back then.
76_corvette_brown_on_brown_1.JPG

But hasn't aged well. IMHO.

I think in a few years the metallic gold/orange colors that are big today might go that route.
2011-Audi-TTS-Orange-Cool-Car.jpg

The car was in Colorado, I think Boulder and I think a local buyer got it. The car was in pretty good shape from what I say but it had old man touches, like the goofy hood ornament and home made knit seat covers, those were real sweet and not very good at marketing the car on ebay. Had he bought a decent set of seat covers and promoted the Saratoga top he would have probably gotten about $2000. Oh and removed the hood ornament.

I love both of my brown X1/9s! My 1982 is brown with gold stripes on the sides, and my 1985 is dual-tone, metallic brown below and gold above. Even before I bought the 85 I was thinking of switching the 82 to a more metallic brown, and after I bought the 85 I realized that's the metallic brown I'm after!

I have fresh gold decals for the sides of my 82, which is something the previous owner was not able to get a hold of. A few years before I bought my 82, the previous owner had Maaco do one of their simple re-paint jobs, and they left the original gold decals alone, upon his request. They are definitely showing their age.

Craigslist...Syracuse, NY...

...79 Brown X1/9 for $500. (Says 79, but sure looks like an FI car in the pics). Same ugly decal package as mine.

I have a brown 78 parts car...

I would like to have a nice Brown one to beat on....

Arman

bb4,

I called on that X, if looks to be in pretty good shape, I am going to look at it tomorrow if he doesn't trade it first. He has someone looking at it on Friday and wants to trade a snowmobile which is what the guy wants. He said that the interior is shot but the dash is not cracked.

This brown one is in much better shape than my 79...which would mean that my current 79 would be parted out...completely. The major problem with my 79...two kids smashed the windshield and passenger window, luckily they didn't do that to my 80. Their parents ended up paying for the damages...the kids were both arrested and had to go to court and were fined.

Thanks for the heads up.

Back