Saturday wrenching...

budgetzagato

Administrator
Aargh! When starting to move the car onto ramps to make reaching stuff easier during the planned timing belt/tensioner work, the clutch pedal went to the floor. :doh:

Add clutch master, slave and hose to the growing to-do list. Geesh.

Old cars to new owners are always an adventure. Just think, once you fix it you should have 20 years until the next time. Really.

Karl

Bad tensioner pics...

Came out in one piece anyway:
IMG_0895.jpg

IMG_0899.jpg

I'm thinking the lack of seals either side might have something to with it, or may be a result of the bearing meltdown. :blackeye:

Not sure how long

Not sure how long you have had your car but when ever I got a new X1/9 or when I got my Scorp I always change a few thing no matter what. I always changed the brakes including the fluid, the clutch master and slave, and the cam belt with a new tension berring. Then I would go through the charging system.That at least gave me a fighting chance.
When you convert to FI you should also keep a spare single relay and a second double relay in the glovebox. The double relay can lead you down a whole bunch of roads without solving problems.

Warren

Previous Owner Syndrome.

The tensioner bearing failed due to lack of lubrication causing the timing belt to fry.

As with all used cars, best if all base line maintenance can be done before the short test drive sessions. Do all the usually stuff like timing belt, bearing, all hoses, fluids and etc.. Replace anything that is questionable before putting any reliability demands on the car.

I recently did this on a 1998 Saab NG900se.. Purchased used, and spent a lot of time replacing hoses, all fluid, new brakes and a lot more just to get any degree of confidence in the car. This holds true regardless if the used car has 500,000 miles and 50 years old or 5 months and 5,000 miles.. All mechanical devices wear and can fail.. Best to get the device in question known before asking the device to perform as required..

Bernice

I'm thinking the lack of seals either side might have something to with it, or may be a result of the bearing meltdown. :blackeye:

Car has been mine since November...

So I'm still getting to know it. I feel very fortunate these problems didn't arise on the drive from Seattle to my home Olympia.

Next up are hydraulic hoses, brake rotors and pads, coolant flush and radiator swap, front wheel bearings if I can swing it.

Fortunately I'm older now and have more patience. :thumbsup:

Still some electrical things to remedy; the wipers don't park, driver's side door jamb dome light switch missing its ground wire, and need to wire in my stereo.

Still looking for: Beta F.I. stuff, charcoal canister and 3 way valve, driver's side seat belt, heater resistor.

A setback...

The tensioner I have doesn't fit correctly to the (lancia?) tensioner holder I have, so I have to get a 124 style one I guess... :huh:

Otherwise an OK day, just didn't get as far as I'd liked. :sigh:

Hey Bernice

With that SAAB (if you still have it), don't forget to upgrade the engine breather system. That was the cause of the sludge issue with those cars.
If you go to the latest version it will help with keeping the sludge down.

Warren

True indeed... and one of many, many problems caused by GM ownership of Saab. The engine oil sludge problem is specific to GM-Saab B205 & B235 engines used in Saab 95 between 1999 to 2002 and 93 from 2000 to 2003. The cause is partly due to the engine PCV, but seriously aggravated by using two rings in the cast pistons. All done with the belief that this is how to reduce friction gaining lower fuel consumption.. Adding to this problem, the specified oil change interval became 10,000 miles. This incident burned an awful lot of Saab owners and resulted in a ruined reputation for Saab. These engines were DE-contented version of Saab's legendary B204 & B234 engines which were quite durable and reliable.

These GM-Saab engines were not the only engines oil sludge problems. Toyota produce a large number of cars with this problem and settled a class action law suit over this problem.

http://www.autosafety.org/getcat.php?cid=28

In 2003 and later all Saab engines were replace by GM ecotech engines. No Saab engines were used after 2003 as Saabs became nothing more than just another GM design with a Saab name.

The date of death for Saab was in 2000 when GM took total ownership of Saab, exploited all of Saab's intellectual property for use in GM products and removed over 2,000 of Saab's engineers and technical folks. GM looked at this human resource as duplication of what GM already had in-house.

I flat refuse to own any Saab without a B204 or B234. As a result, the recent NG900 is a 1998 which is next to the last year the NG900 was produced with the B204. After spending some time with the B204, it became obvious this Saab engine and transaxle should go into my Lancia for a host of reasons.. Turns out, Saab B204 & B234 conversions in Opel Vectra & Astra and numerous other DIY sports cars are popular in the UK and else where.. much like the Fiat Twin Cam engine used to power a number of DIY car projects.

A stock as delivered Saab B204 engine is capable of producing need 500+ Bhp. It was designed from day one to be a turbocharged engine and built to meet these requirements.. before GM bean counters turned them in oil sludge specials.

http://www.serioussaab.co.uk/articles_pages/B2x4tribute.html

Bernice

With that SAAB (if you still have it), don't forget to upgrade the engine breather system. That was the cause of the sludge issue with those cars.
If you go to the latest version it will help with keeping the sludge down.

Warren

Back