Scam warning (edit by JimD - beware buying from new users)

Discussion in 'FS&W Forum' started by Chris in Canada, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Chris in Canada

Chris in Canada True Classic

seems to be trolling the wanted ads. Says he has what you’re looking for and to contact a
    sonnhalterjon@gmail.com. He goes by Sas1 and it says new member

2. Bjwhite

Bjwhite True Classic

Yup. I got a message saying he had “a Koni 87 2169”. Yeah right dude.

3. Dino66

Dino66 True Classic

And me, says he has 1300 column casings

4. fiatfactory

fiatfactory Steve Cecchele

yeah... he's got lots of thermostat housings as well.... :rolleyes:

SteveC

myronx19 likes this.
  5. JimD

JimD Waiting for Godot... Moderator

So... should I temp ban the user and see if he/she/it offers more details on their business practices? Let me know. It does seem unusual to try to conduct all deals thru IM.

The profile says Sas1 joined Saturday (6/22/2019), last seen yesterday (6/23/2019). Location: Denver.

6. JimD

A little more info. Entered location is Denver, the registration IP says it is in Long Beach, California. He is telling people to email sonnhalterjon-at-gmail, but his registration email shows Lawrencekulpa01-at-gmail. In other words, lots of inconsistencies.

7. kmead

kmead Old enough to know better

He scammed twincam69 for $100 for non existent door panels.

I would temp ban him and make folks aware.

E9EEE98E-4BA1-4562-94F2-73BD78E495EF.jpeg

8. JimD

Sas1 has been marked as a spammer. This is a permanent ban, I tried to preserve the IMs that were sent to other members, not sure if that works or not.

9. Dr.Jeff

Dr.Jeff True Classic

Thanks to those that spotted this and took action. I was not aware of it so very grateful for the input. Might even want to make an 'official' announcement where everyone will definitely see it? Not sure how, but perhaps something more obvious that this thread, like a system notice of some sort?

PayPal should be able to step in and recover the funds. But that may depend in part on the method of transfer. That's one reason why I'd rather pay for goods with a "purchase" transfer and not a "friends" transfer. I'll pay any fees to have that protection.

Tavalin likes this.
  10. Tavalin

Tavalin Michael Motorcycle

Yeah, I received a message that a Jon had a 1986 emissions plate. Seem suspect so I sent a list of questions to them and all they replied was “yes, we have it”.
    No pics or answers to any of my questions or price.
    Thanks for the heads up,
    Mike

PS: Maybe law enforcement should get a anonymous tip about these scammers.

11. Jimmy II

Jimmy II Fair weather only

Thanks to everyone that is looking out for the fest of us.

12. alfaman

alfaman Daily Driver

yes...contacted me a few days ago...if i had not already received the part i was looking for, i might have fell for it and contacted him

13. Dr.Jeff

Dr.Jeff True Classic

Usually the typical scams are pretty obvious, the ones trying to do the scamming are barley literate and the whole thing smells like rotten fish. So the generic rules about online security are more than adequate - even a little common sense is all that's needed. But now and then one comes along that is actually well done and could catch people off guard. And in these cases the general rules may not be enough to protect the innocent. I guess that is where we can help one another, like in this case, by warning the members of a hazard. The more apparent these warnings can be made the better. I am not very experienced with forums (beyond this one and one other), is there a common means on forums to get "urgent alerts" out to everyone?