Scorpion cv-boot question

jydawg

Daily Driver
I just found a tear in a cv cover. Does anyone have a link to a replacement cv boot which is a "split-type" that you can put over the cv and glue together?

I just found a tear in a cv cover. Does anyone have a link to a replacement cv boot which is a "split-type" that you can put over the cv and glue together?
I wouldn't bother with one of those. They never work properly in my experience, just bite the bullet and remove the axle, it is actually easier.

I know this because of experience.

dune buggies have tried the split cv joint covers (just to get off the dunes) and typically they don't even service the 1 trip.

And last time I did one, it took much longer than just R&R'ing the axle. There is a step in there where you have to let the glue dry for an hour and not touch anything. I can have those 12 allen head bolts out and the circlip off the end of the axle in about 13 minutes.

Plus, this gives you a chance to break down and inspect the CV joint. If you ran for a while with a torn boot, this is definitely something you should do.

Pete

Ok. Cleaned and repacked two CVs, and put the car back on the ground in four hours. First time doing this myself. I saw that joints move smoother in new grease than in decade old one. Thanks all.

Back