Scorpion distributor drive question: 124 cams on a Scorpion (and vice versa)?

RJ80

True Classic
I've gotten some conflicting information on this over the months and I'm hoping to set the record straight. As we all know, all Scorpions came from the factory with the intake cam distributor drive. Many 124s came from the factory with the exhaust cam distributor drive.

My question is this: Is it possible to use either/or as long as you swap the corresponding distributor drive gear? In other words, equipped with a set of 124 exhaust drive cams and the correct 124 exhaust cam distributor drive gear, could you use a 124 exhaust-drive cam to drive a Scorpion distributor, eliminating the need for the special Scorpion cams? Or vice-versa, with a set of Scorpion cams in a 124? Hope I'm making myself clear!

Basically, is there an effective way of running a 124 exhaust-drive cam as a Scorpion intake cam, keeping the intake-mounted distributor?

I've been told this will work in the past, but I've also been told it won't -- that the distributor will be running the wrong direction. Without having all the parts in my hands, my brain can't make sense of it!

Short answer is no. It’s because the Scorpion distributor runs off the opposite side of the cam. Looking towards the rear of the engine, it runs on the right side verses the left.

Last edited:
Short answer is no. It’s because the Scorpion distributor runs off the opposite side of the cam. Looking towards the rear, it run on the right side verses the left.
Ahhhh.... that makes perfect sense! Thanks for the explanation, Mark.

I've gotten some conflicting information on this over the months and I'm hoping to set the record straight. As we all know, all Scorpions came from the factory with the intake cam distributor drive. Many 124s came from the factory with the exhaust cam distributor drive.

My question is this: Is it possible to use either/or as long as you swap the corresponding distributor drive gear? In other words, equipped with a set of 124 exhaust drive cams and the correct 124 exhaust cam distributor drive gear, could you use a 124 exhaust-drive cam to drive a Scorpion distributor, eliminating the need for the special Scorpion cams? Or vice-versa, with a set of Scorpion cams in a 124? Hope I'm making myself clear!

Basically, is there an effective way of running a 124 exhaust-drive cam as a Scorpion intake cam, keeping the intake-mounted distributor?

I've been told this will work in the past, but I've also been told it won't -- that the distributor will be running the wrong direction. Without having all the parts in my hands, my brain can't make sense of it!
yes, you can swap the drive gear and the distributor will work 100% correct. have done it many times, the gear is cut in the opposite direction and the cam runs the opposite way so when installed the distributor works in the proper direction. meaning you can make a 124 distributor work with scorpion cams, you cannot run 124 cams unless you use a 124 exhaust cam box and use the 124 distributor in the exhaust side

yes, you can swap the drive gear and the distributor will work 100% correct. have done it many times, the gear is cut in the opposite direction and the cam runs the opposite way so when installed the distributor works in the proper direction. meaning you can make a 124 distributor work with scorpion cams, you cannot run 124 cams unless you use a 124 exhaust cam box and use the 124 distributor in the exhaust side

I see! So I'd need the exhaust drive cams, exhaust drive distributor gear and exhaust drive cam box (all 124 style).

Would the 124 cam box need modifications for proper oiling given the inclination of the Lancia engine?

I'm just curious in case I want to experiment with different cams in my Scorpion in the future. Obviously, it's far easier to find performance 124 cams than it is Scorpion intake-drive cams. I suppose the other option is running end-drive cams, but those don't seem to be all that easy to find either.

Last edited:
Another choice would be to dump the distributor completely and go to a Ford EDIS system with a toothed wheel and sensor off the crank. Then you can go with two unencumbered cam boxes with Lancia script.

The EDIS system is standalone so it won’t affect any other system in the car. Many use this when they move to fuel injection and Mega/Micro Squirt which interfaces well with it.

The Scorpion engine is canted towards the back, so a 124 cam box on the exhaust side would have a low oil level. You could use a Beta cam box from a carbed car with a 124 cam.

I see! So I'd need the exhaust drive cams, exhaust drive distributor gear and exhaust drive cam box (all 124 style).

Would the 124 cam box need modifications for proper oiling given the inclination of the Lancia engine?

I'm just curious in case I want to experiment with different cams in my Scorpion in the future. Obviously, it's far easier to find performance 124 cams than it is Scorpion intake-drive cams. I suppose the other option is running end-drive cams, but those don't seem to be all that easy to find either.

Back