scorpion roof straps

This was about 3 yrs ago...

Wow, Pete. That had to be a disappointment. I'm shocked. I wonder if it's the same problem some beautiful women have with getting dates, guys figure they won't have a chance, so they don't bother ...and a beauty goes begging. (Yes, I know stunningly gorgeous women with this problem, not kidding.) Well, someone got an *excellent* deal off of you. How long ago?

John O.

Before the economy turned bad, even. I spoke to the buyer and he seemed to think that it was a little low, but not by that much. But who knows, maybe he was trying to make me feel better because he just stole them from me! :mallet:

About your women friends, why don't they just ask guys out?

Pete

But who knows, maybe he was trying to make me feel better because he just stole them from me! :mallet:

Damn. I've seen Scorpion Konis go for well over a grand on eBay. WTF? That's pretty strange.

About your women friends, why don't they just ask guys out?

I think it's simple, they're all stupid and don't know what they REALLY want ...just like men! Okay, men know what they want, mostly it's low hassle and good laughs, beyond THAT, they don't know what they want. :drink:

John O.

I'm not sure who you're asking...

I didn't know that could be done. Hows it done?

So I'll jump in here.

There are a few choices, starting with low-buck options like converting your existing struts by cutting away most of the lower spring perch, then buying ebay aluminum coil over sleeves that fit over the strut tube. What's left of the spring perch supports the coil sleeve, and then you get some 2.5" id springs of whatever rate and length you calculate. You also cut down the upper spring perch.

Next up the food chain you have actually buying pre-made coil-overs for the X1/9. This gets pricey quick, I know of no bolt-in option for under about $800.

Finally, you could fabricate your own from scratch.

The advantages are two-fold.

First, you get rid of a lot of spring diameter, you you can run a wider tire/wheel combination.

Second, you can adjust ride height and firmness - ride height by adjusting the lower spring perch height, and firmness by swapping stiffer springs.

Pete

Well, a Ferrari is a FIAT.. FIAT owns Ferrari..

Having spent enough time around cars like Ferrari and etc.. you discover it is the name that drives the cost of their parts in many ways. Why should a status brand like Ferrari be allowed to over charge for parts and FIAT/Lancia/Alfa Romeo be relegated into the cheap heap pile?

As for the Lancia, it is on many levels a very high quality design that was not completed for production. This is similar to many low volume production cars... and while it is in ways a FIAT, in many ways, it is not.

If you take apart a Ferrari 308, one might discover many of it's bits is not any better than that Lancia or FIAT... or in fact, the identical bits were used.

I do believe the idea that a Scorpion / Montecarlo parts should be cheap due to the low market value of them in the US is simply wrong, just like the x1/9 and other Lancia cars that were imported to US but became perceived as cheap crap heaps.

If you want to be a Scorpacarlo owner, own up to what it actual cost to own one, not what you expect or want to pay for the cost of ownership.

This is why so many Scorpions and X1/9 in the US are in such poor condition and one of the reasons for their low market value. This cheap parts ideology also causes part suppliers to offer crapy parts which compound the problems and myth of "Fix It Again Tony".

How many sub-standard parts were installed into FIAT/Lancia/Alfa Romeo cars that failed, then the owner blames FIAT/Lancia/Alfa Romeo for the failure?

If the market is not willing to pay for the actual cost of quality parts, the suppliers will see this as zero demand and not offer any parts at all, which causes these cars to be junked due to lack of support.

Bernice

Totally agree pete. If this were a 308, then the skys the limit and I'd suck up the outragous price because ferraris are supposed to be outragous. But this is a fiat.I'll make straps and give that a try first. In the end I may have to relent and pay through the nose but not without a fight!

sighhh...

Yeah, I know very well the relationship between Ferrari and Fiat. The door handles on my '79 spider are the same as the Ferrari 400. The brake lever in my spider was used in a number of Ferraris. The rear taillights on an 850 spider were idendical to those used on some Ferraris.The list goes on. I have worked in the european car restoration business for 30yrs. I have worked on Jags, and redone their horrid Lucas "prince of darkness" electrics with german,american,and japanise parts in order to make them work reliably. I have been to the Amelia Island concours and drooled over Ferraris,Bentleys,and all the like. I have come to the conclusion that there is simply no excuse for bad enginering and in this day and age of mass produced,made in China by slave labor, parts, at the end of the day we can make anything cheaply,but with quality.Gone are the days when fenders were beat out by hand on wooden forms.Ferrari can "justify" more than a hundred dollars for a single timing belt on a lowley 308 because,hey... it's a Ferrari! That is supposed to mean instant respect for the owner,and I guess the right to claim any supermodel that catches his eye as well.Fact is that timing belt was made on the exact same machine as our fiat belts! Slapping a high price tag on a car and giving it a name it doesn't deserve doesn't make it worth the price. Good enginering and serviceability are what counts.

:thumbsup:

Many of the reasons why I'm not going to own a Ferrari or other Italian exotic. Been given the chance many times, but the cost of ownership is not a good value IMO..

Bernice

Yeah, I know very well the relationship between Ferrari and Fiat. The door handles on my '79 spider are the same as the Ferrari 400. The brake lever in my spider was used in a number of Ferraris. The rear taillights on an 850 spider were idendical to those used on some Ferraris.The list goes on. I have worked in the european car restoration business for 30yrs. I have worked on Jags, and redone their horrid Lucas "prince of darkness" electrics with german,american,and japanise parts in order to make them work reliably. I have been to the Amelia Island concours and drooled over Ferraris,Bentleys,and all the like. I have come to the conclusion that there is simply no excuse for bad enginering and in this day and age of mass produced,made in China by slave labor, parts, at the end of the day we can make anything cheaply,but with quality.Gone are the days when fenders were beat out by hand on wooden forms.Ferrari can "justify" more than a hundred dollars for a single timing belt on a lowley 308 because,hey... it's a Ferrari! That is supposed to mean instant respect for the owner,and I guess the right to claim any supermodel that catches his eye as well.Fact is that timing belt was made on the exact same machine as our fiat belts! Slapping a high price tag on a car and giving it a name it doesn't deserve doesn't make it worth the price. Good enginering and serviceability are what counts.

Good enginering and serviceability are what counts.

Completely agree. When I was through with my 124 Coupe, I looked around for something to play with which was more practical in terms of parts supply and compatibility with the cars I'd already invested myself in. The Scorpion fits the "practical classic" definition for me almost exclusively because of the parts the Monte Hospital cares to produce. Chad, now Rod and Linda, and to some extent Matt Brannon and Chris Obert, are our greatest allies in keeping our oddball cars on the road. I've never felt that anything they've sold or innovated in-house had cache' pricing attached to it, but honestly reflected their costs and whatever margin they need to add in order to keep the doors open and food on the table.

As for Ferraris, I've considered the 308GT4 as my next step, but in researching it, as Bernice suggests, the value simply isn't there for me.

John O.

Last edited:
Back