Selling my Carbon Fiber Megasquirt EFI System

Scott, that looks fantastic...

And I would seriously consider it if I was not also ditching the TC motor.

What are you going to transplant in there?

Pete

And I would seriously consider it if I was not also ditching the TC motor.

What are you going to transplant in there?

Pete

Hi Pete,

It is somewhat along the lines of your new X but a little closer to what I am familiar with :D. I had looked at many options and had come to the conclusion that the TC was just too old of a design and too heavy for its output. This CF intake was built to ultimately add a turbo and an air/water intercooler which never happened. I still have those parts for it BTW.

It is the 2GR-FE 3.5l V6 that is the workhorse V6 for Toyota/Lexus. It is used in the Camry, Avalon, Sienna, RAV4, RX350, and ES350. There are direct injection versions of it too but there is a level of complexity that goes with that engine that I didn't want to deal with. Those are all push button start and the security behind that system is pretty involved. HP in the stock configuration is around 268 but there are a few MR2s out there with this swap that are in the 270-300 RWHP range. Stock internals with headers and a little bigger intake. Stock ECM. I have not dyno'd this one yet. The new V6 engine/trans are 80lbs heavier than the TC. I have not weighed the complete car to get the total weight delta but I will at some point.

The trans is the E153 box from the turbo MR2 and has an LSD. The install was pretty straight forward and there are a few decent performance parts like an AL flywheel and some cool clutches available off the shelf.

There are a few things that need to be sorted still but overall it is a great ride. I did an autocross a few weeks ago, my first in 25 years! Probably the biggest issue, other than the driver, was the throttle is incredibly sensitive and is really tough to drive in 1st gear off idle. The AL flywheel makes it even worse.

I had thought that I would keep the old engine in case I wanted to swap it back in but HP is like a bad crack addiction. There is really no turning back. A local guy here is getting the take-out engine/trans but does not want the EFI.

This is the only photo I have if it close by right now. It was taken a while ago.

Scott

P1010115.JPG

Kudos Scott

Wow Scott, an awesome upgrade you have there! Please share more pics and details. What is the redline on that engine? Do you have calculated or measured performance info, such as acceleration times?

Ken

im in the process of installing a 6g72 into a scorpion

fyi its a 4ohc 24 valve v6, out of a 3000gt. n/a it makes 222hp but in the twin turbo format it makes 320 stock, with minor upgrades well over 400

Hi Ken,

No, I don't have any 0-60 times, 1/4 mile, etc. The redline is in the 6,400 range. I will have to post some photos but but they are not as organized as they need to be. Maybe a Chicago winter project.

Some of the inspirational came from the ride you gave me in your car. The sound was purely amazing. I knew I wanted more power and equally important, reliability. I had rode in the other Ken's car and liked the 295rwhp so I decided to shoot for a V6 with something around 275hp as the target.

I had a turbo on my car along time ago, back in the mid-80s, and loved it. It was the 1.8l and was fantastic but the reliability was never there. It was through all of these mind games that the 2GR engine came about. That and there was a transaxle with LSD that would bolt right up. Budget was also a consideration. Building a high boost, high RPM 4 cylinder would really cost quite a bit. Then add in the LSD and that kept me away. This thing should have the reliability of a Camry and parts are down at the corner parts store.

Scott

Back