Series 1 dash in a Series 2 shell

Andrew Coles

Say no to rice
Are there many modifications required to the dash to fit a Series 1 dash into a Series 2 shell? I know that some of the sheetmetal around the dash/consol area is quite different, so I doubt it would just drop in. Has anyone done this before?

Ive just decided that I really want a series 1 dash in my project - if its not that hard I'll try and find one and fit it, if its going to be nigh on impossible I'll find a fibreglass series 1 dash and fit that (It will be easier to start hacking up and making brackets to fit a fibreglass one).

Cheers guys

I've done just the reverse

I put a late dash/console in an early car...

I can tell you that there's more than you may think at first glance. For it to look right, you will need an early center console, early ventilation controls and such, the headlight switch area will need to be modified or you will need a different switch which can be wired in correctly, and in your case there may be cutting/welding to do. The biggie is that the dash center support is too wide for the early console to fit correctly, if memory serves.

It's all quite doable, but it would be helpful if you could see a stripped early model car to get a sense of what all will be needed.

Hope this helps a bit...
Tommy

So Andrew... ya mean...

... you've still got more money to spend AND have nothing BETTER to do?

HA!

I too like the OPEN-NESS the series 1 dash PERCEAVES to give ya, especially on the passenger side.

With all the trouble though, unless its the guage CLUSTER yur in love with... why not build a complete CUSTOM dash and console of your OWN design? My first thought was to use the stock guage cluster, but your choices would be unlimited... and yur still YOUNG.

You could come up with something really different!

my series 1 is currently dismantled for respray. I can send you pictures of how it looks like is you want to.

Hi Andrew

Looks like good progress on the X. I have a spare series 1 dash that you can have to experiment with if you want. Its badly split, but could be used for a trial or re-skinned. How's the article on the Super Sprint at the Nationals going? It was great watching your expertise on the track!
Cheers, Terry

Back