Shift knob plans.

Zona

Jase
knob.jpg

The one on the right is my OEM shift knob, the one on the left is a spherical Tiger's Eye stone I bought a while ago for a project that never came to fruition. Turns out there are almost exactly the same size, now I just have to find someone who can drill out a hole without breaking the stone and get a machinist to make a threaded sleeve. It'll probably wind up costing a lot more than just buying a shift knob (especially considering the cost of the Tiger's Eye) but at least it will be truly one of a kind.

P.S. the pic was taken with my Hero and is of poor quality, the stone looks much better under natural light and in high resolution.

Last edited:
Yes...

That would be beautiful as a shift knob. I would talk to a company that fabs marble, like for countertops. They will likely be able to cut the hole without messing up. Then epoxy in a threaded sleeve.

Tiger's Eye is a real nice stone, I'm sure it will all be worth it :)
I think its going to be a bitch to machine, I would imagine other gear knobs would have the hole machined first then the sphere.

I love Tiger's Eye

I once had the mother of pearl inlays in the neck of a Gibson SG reset with tiger's eye, looked great. Good luck!

Hey Chris... Interesting knob...

A good friend of mine... I consider an IN-LAW... who is my brother-in-law's, father-in-law... I have known for over 40 years and is and was, a character actor by the name of John Goddard. (I believe there is also a rocker by that name nowadays... anyway...) He's about 83 now... and still dabbles in the trade when he can...

He was able to actually make a living and raise three beautiful girls by playing roles in various movies, Gunsmoke, Perry Mason, Three's Company and hundred of other's...

But I will always remember him for posing for that Johnny Walker label... That's him!

HA!

Well... I have difficulty finding any proof...

John is this John Goddard...

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0323798/filmoyear

And I used to be able to pull up stills and B&W Glossies on this site...

I went and looked for the MAGAZINE ADs I used to see him in and can't find any of those either now... only illustrations.

I'll see him on the 1st and ask him for some help. I know he has some framed fotos in his home...

Like I said though, and as the IMDB site shows... he worked a lot and often over the years, never famous, but made what I would consider equal to a well above average living as a character actor... This is what I consider a REAL achievement in LA-LA-LAND!

Shift knob.....

WOW......That's going to look absolutely fabulous!!!!

And it's given me an idea....being as I am "commuting" to Kandahar on a regular basis, one of the local stones available here is Lapis.

It has a deep blue colour and would look great in my blue X.....

Please post your results as soon as possible.

Although I'm leaving Kandahar next week, I will be back in August for another 8 week stint.

AND, if any of you fine folks would like, I can ship some out as well.

The cost of Lapis here is "extremely" low, and I can ship from a USPS office here on the base.

Let me know....

Back