Shims?

Martygf

Daily Driver
Looking for some advice folks. Recently taken off head off my X as the valve stem oil seals needed replacing. Had head skimmed and de-coked at the same time, so i am currently putting back together. Do i need to replace/adjust shims on top of the tappetts?
Thanks

Shims

Looking for some advice folks. Recently taken off head off my X as the valve stem oil seals needed replacing. Had head skimmed and de-coked at the same time, so i am currently putting back together. Do i need to replace/adjust shims on top of the tappets?
Thanks

If you didn't mill the surfaces between cambox and head, you haven't done anything to change the valve clearances. So theoretically if the clearances were right before they still are and you don't need to do anything.

But that's theory. In practice, you should measure the clearances anyways. It's so easy when you have the head out on the bench that it would be silly not to; and you don't know for sure that the clearances were right before.

Replace any shims that show any sign of unusual wear or are less than glass-smooth on their contact face, of course. And check out Chris Obert's advice on shims here.

Back