Shipping from China

Dr.Jeff

True Classic
Has anyone had recent experiences with getting shipments from China? Over the last three months I have not received anything from there and I'm beginning to wonder what's going on.

Has anyone had recent experiences with getting shipments from China? Over the last three months I have not received anything from there and I'm beginning to wonder what's going on.
I think Shanghai is still in lockdown.

Thanks, I believe that is correct. I know the latest surge of the virus got bad there, again. However I'm not sure if that effects shipping? Especially from other areas of China outside of Shanghai? The online sites are still selling items and nothing is stated about shipping being suspended.

Thanks, I believe that is correct. I know the latest surge of the virus got bad there, again. However I'm not sure if that effects shipping? Especially from other areas of China outside of Shanghai? The online sites are still selling items and nothing is stated about shipping being suspended.

isn't it nice to purchase things from china. The parts are 1/2 the price of the ones made elsewhere. Knock offs if you will, but reproductions never the less! The quality of Chinese made auto parts has gotten much better over the last few years. The prices reflect the gain in quality and consumer trust. I, for one appreciate the ability to purchase parts for vehicles made over 40 years ago!. Quality is always the king, some parts are made better some are made worse. Check the parts you buy! for myself i wouldn't buy a water pump made in China, but I might buy a set of connecting rods, or even a crankshaft. Many of our trusted vendors sell parts made in china. Nothing wrong with that. Myself, I am glad that the vendors take the time to seek out parts that will work with our 40+ year old cars. I seek out the best available parts for what I am doing. China, U.S.A. for Italy!, doesnt matter. who makes the part and what is available, that matters. We should be glad that parts are available! period!

I've been buying merchandise from China for many years. And I agree, overall the quality has improved; some has always been excellent (even the best in the world), some not. Especially when you consider that most of the parts worldwide are actually manufactured in China (regardless of what brand name is on it or where it is sold). In the past I've always had shipments come through in very short time. In fact I could get a item from China faster than I could get it from a couple states away here. But recently that has changed. I'm sure it is Covid related, however for the past two or three years of Covid I've not experienced much problem....just recently.

Last edited:
I needed a tool I found only from a China vendor. A tap in M20 x1.0... counterclockwise. I orderer it and the delivery was supposed to be between 6 and 10 weeks. I got it in 10 weeks. Then it took me only 5 minutes to redo the threads I was working on... Tool was fine. Price too.

I guess shipping from China is really backed up these days. Too bad because as Daniel and others have said, often that is the only source for lots of items, and the price is great for the quality. It just seems odd to me that there wasn't any problems getting shipments for the past three years when Covid was really bad, but now all of a sudden it's all messed up.

The problem IMO is that China is a communist country. They lead through misinformation and try hard to control what the people know. Politically I can not support them. Add to that China does not recognize international patents. Sure you can get stuff cheaper but they are blatantly ripping off companies who have legal rights.

I will admit I bought (years ago) brake calipers for my 1983 Yamaha RZ350. I was happy with the quality and almost half the price of Galfer which is plain and simple robbery. They boast Laser cut as if it means something to me. All it means is they employ fewer people and can produce the same product much cheaper, but they want to sell it to me for more.

I get that we are being ripped off, I understand that the cost of production in NA is higher than other places but I can't justify over $300 for a couple steel rings worth maybe $50.

Part of the problem is you have inconsistent quality between Chinese manufacturers, some legitimately are decent and make quality products while some are horrible. Even with pricey stuff, you can get parts with an x-ray certification, but from China that means squat. As corrupt and things are here China is worse hands down.

Now with the issue of Taiwan, and seeing what is going on with Ukraine, China no doubt will walk into Taiwan in order to take over the chip manufacturing and control the worlds chip supply. After all the issues with the 5G networks and spyware, I don't trust that country at all and I am honestly doing my best to not give them anything I don't have to. I realize the people of China are not to blame in all this and with my own way of thinking it is a loss for the people of China. You have to suspect they have eyes on North America, and to what end is my question.

The problem IMO is that China is a communist country. They lead through misinformation and try hard to control what the people know. Politically I can not support them. Add to that China does not recognize international patents. Sure you can get stuff cheaper but they are blatantly ripping off companies who have legal rights.

I will admit I bought (years ago) brake calipers for my 1983 Yamaha RZ350. I was happy with the quality and almost half the price of Galfer which is plain and simple robbery. They boast Laser cut as if it means something to me. All it means is they employ fewer people and can produce the same product much cheaper, but they want to sell it to me for more.

I get that we are being ripped off, I understand that the cost of production in NA is higher than other places but I can't justify over $300 for a couple steel rings worth maybe $50.

Part of the problem is you have inconsistent quality between Chinese manufacturers, some legitimately are decent and make quality products while some are horrible. Even with pricey stuff, you can get parts with an x-ray certification, but from China that means squat. As corrupt and things are here China is worse hands down.

Now with the issue of Taiwan, and seeing what is going on with Ukraine, China no doubt will walk into Taiwan in order to take over the chip manufacturing and control the worlds chip supply. After all the issues with the 5G networks and spyware, I don't trust that country at all and I am honestly doing my best to not give them anything I don't have to. I realize the people of China are not to blame in all this and with my own way of thinking it is a loss for the people of China. You have to suspect they have eyes on North America, and to what end is my question.
My thoughts exactly. China has also slapped huge tariffs on Australia's wine and agricultural products recently. I am going out of my way to buy stuff from anywhere other than China now, even if it means paying a lot more. I hate the thought of China having complete control of everything we buy, they will have a monopoly.

You probably don't want to buy Brand New Weber carbs for $120, Feedback I have gotten from those who have bought Chinese DFVs and IDFs is they are pretty grim and end up in the trash.

When I got the rotors for my RZ there was one guy. If you searched, all the forums said "this guy, anyone else and all bets are off" If you looked all the rotors that warped were not from him. I tried to warp them off the bat just to see if I could. I didn't want issues when I was far from home and they were perfect. It's sad to think that this guy is putting out quality parts at a reasonable price (though I think shipping was subsidized then) and I would not buy off him again because he's in China. I hate to think of the people suffering there because of it's governments actions but look at how many people disappear for speaking out. I thin there are also those in China pumping out garbage because what are you going to do? Take them to court?

Back