should I go back to GL 1 ?

Hi all. I posted last year that I wanted to change tranny oil to Redline mt 90 to get better gear changes as my 3'rd gear is sometimes "rubbery" feeling. I can't say I've noticed much difference in better shifting with the new oil and my tranny now leaks.( at nearly $20.00 a litre,that kind of sucks). I was thinking of going back to the GL 1. Will my tranny stop leaking if I switch back?

Maybe...

I did the exact same thing years ago and switched back. It worked for me. No promises though. Good luck.

Rob... sorry for your trouble...

In most cases, an almost immediate improvement is noticed when using MTL... and in most others, within a tank of gas.

I understand MT90 is just a version that is similar but made for the hight temps and usually for the racers. I also have not had any personal experience with it... but my guess would be if the MT90 didn't help, then MTL won't either.

I also have sincere doubts that going back to GL1 will help either, with the exception of possibly leaking SLOWER... or LESS.

Sounds like its time to BITE THE BULLET and go through the trans...

The 3rd gear problem is more likely due to a dying 3rd gear syncro/slider/gear.. changing the fluid is but a band-aid to the core problem of wore out parts. If the seals are leaking, they are tired and need replacement..which the two axle seals can be done without removing the transaxle, the input shaft seal will need transaxle removal.

How many miles, how is this transaxle treated and how old is this transaxle?

Bernice

Hi all. I posted last year that I wanted to change tranny oil to Redline mt 90 to get better gear changes as my 3'rd gear is sometimes "rubbery" feeling. I can't say I've noticed much difference in better shifting with the new oil and my tranny now leaks.( at nearly $20.00 a litre,that kind of sucks). I was thinking of going back to the GL 1. Will my tranny stop leaking if I switch back?

I have no idea if going back to GL-1 will fix the leaks, but FWIW... I've owned three Xs, and every one of them had a funky 2-3 shift. My first X (an '80) developed it at a relatively low mileage and stayed that way until I sold it. My '84 had it when I bought it with 65k mi. My current '86X had it when purchased with 24K mi...

Based on the above I have to guess that the issue is congenital...

condition of transaxle

Basically,this 4 speed gear box is pretty good aside from the fact that if you are in the higher rpm range and either gearing up to 3'rd or gearing down to 3'rd,the gear sometimes has a hard time engaging quickly. It kind of feels rubbery sometimes. Otherwise it's pretty good. As for the leak,it only started when I put in the Redline mt 90. So,I thought that putting back the GL1 might at least stop the leak. As for repairing the gearbox and axle seals,I'm not sure I feel confident enough to do that stuff myself. Maybe at the end of the season. However,I'd rather put in a 5 speed If I could find one rather than getting the 4 speed rebuilt if it was an option. Just for the record,is the 5 speed much better?

Now yur into the "opinion" arena...

... but basically...

For the street... and for freeways... ya really want the bit of overdrive...

For short track racing... 5th would probably never be touched.

For long track racing... kinda the same and the X doesn't do well on long tracks in general.

For autocross... 4th and 5th are probably never used... and it APPEARS the 4 speed is a healthier/cheaper/more robust choice for this form of racing.

(When I'm in my Vette... an 4 speed small block... I'm constantly shifting into 5th.... HA! I sure miss it!)

The '86 of Dorian Gray?

I picked up my '86 in 1990 when it had only 6000 miles on it. (previous owner bit a telephone pole dead-center) It now is pushing 150k and the transmission is smooth as silk. OK, I baby it. My first car was a '62 Sprite with a chipped gear in the 1st/reverse idler. I learned to drive with an eggshell under my foot.

No problems 2-to-3 or even 5-to-3. Original lube. I guess it was taken away from the first guy while there was still metal in all the right places.

I.. My first car was a '62 Sprite with a chipped gear in the 1st/reverse idler. I learned to drive with an eggshell under my foot.

My other toy is a '63 Midget. Driving the X compared to that is a trip. Synchros in 1st and reverse on the X, wow, what luxury, and the clutch, it's so light.
The Midget is a whole different experience, not worse, just different.

cant find any GL 1

I went looking for some GL 1 today in the places that used to carry it. I can't seem to find any. I'm in the Oakville Ont Canada area. Anyone have any leads?

Redline is the best stuff!

Big time noticeable smoother shifting bar none...

I swear by it in all my other rides. BUT in the FIAT you will leak... those that have not experienced this well they are the lucky few.

And if you put serious miles on your X it doesn't get thicker obviously warmed up :mad4:

Vick's Auto in TX has it. As many problems as Redline oil might appear to have, the reduced wear and performance pretty much nulls out the benifets of GL-1.

Different oil in the transaxle cannot and will not solve wear/age/innate problems with any transaxle.

GL-1, Redline are not magic "diet pills" that produce instant results as desired. Until the root and innate problems have been addressed, changing oil types might produce different results.

The 4 speed transaxle has no real seals on the axles, they are more of a boot with a metal sleeve to prevent the oil from spewing out of the tripod axle joint that fits into the diff gears.

Bernice

I went looking for some GL 1 today in the places that used to carry it. I can't seem to find any. I'm in the Oakville Ont Canada area. Anyone have any leads?

made a decision

I couldn't find any GL1 so "w t f",,I opted to top up the tranny with some more Redline mt 90. I know the stuff is good and it did smoothen out my transmission. Of course it woudn't fix the weak 3'rd gear syncro,but it did smooth it out a bit I guess. I didn't want to deal with the little puddles it leaves on my garage floor,but no big deal I guess.
Thanks for all your help gang.

Back