Should I upgrade the springs and struts?

toddr124

Hagerstown, MD
I have a 87 X1/9 with ~66,000 miles on it. All the suspension is original. The ride is good compared to other X1/9s I drive. I have the chance for FREE labor to help me update the Struts and Springs.

1) Should I leave well enough alone and do nothing?

2) If no to question #1, what springs/Struts should I get?

I drive the car as a daily driver when the weather is nice plus I drive hard on weekends with DCFiats about 12 times a year. I have autocrossed, but just for fun.

Ideas?

That depends

Do you want to improve the car's handling or tighten up the ride quality?

If yes, then do it. If you are happy with the car now, then the free labor buys you nothing. In fact, you may like it less.

Leave it be.

An upgrade is only an upgrade if you need or want something better, which would be hard to define, or are need of repair, which it doesn't sound like. Save that offer for future use perhaps.:wink2:

Thanks for the replies

I try to live by the rule; If it ain't broke don't break it.:nod:

I will think long and hard about what to do. 23 year old struts do worry me a little.

Save that offer for future use perhaps.

Well, this is kind of a one shot deal. I'm installing a set of Mark P's pivot bearings as sort of a thank you present to Todd for all his help getting me to my new X, dragging it back, and giving it a Winter home. So I asked him, "while we have everything apart...?"

I agree with the opinions above; if you like, it leave 'cuz you make like the changes even less. But, it never hurts to explore the possibilities. I'm sure this won't be the only opportunity to work on Todd's X and frankly struts are so easy, it's no biggie to go in again.

I've driven my current X with stock springs and with IAP springs; to me the stock springs bottom out more easily in the rear and make the car feel less sure-footed ...but then, that's me.

John O.

Well, unless they are leaking...

I see no reason to WORRY in any case... as they rarely fail in a catastrophic way...

But in the words of the IMMORTAL Tim "The Toolman" Taylor, "Even it it ain't broke, it still can probably be fixed!"

Words to live by... just ask my best friend Bob Brown!

Back