Since BobbyB asked, "History of the 79.. part 1"

JimD

Waiting for Godot...
I decided not to junk up Rob's FS&W steering wheel sale any more than I already had, so here is the answer to BobB's question about the history of this car:
fiat-vs-guardrail-45mph.JPGfiat-vs-guardrail-45mph-a (1).JPG

Here is the story Bob!!

That was a 1979 I owned a few years back. I sold it to another forum member who wanted it for his son. First the good news, the son walked away from this incident A-OK, thanks to the stoutness of the X. The bad news is pretty obvious. Matt ended up in possession of the remains. Who knows how many folks here on Xweb are driving a piece of this car today? ;)

It was a pretty decent X, although the new owner did have to put some elbow grease into a solving a few issues like clutch hydraulics, bad alternator and a small rust hole on the lower rear panel. It had a little more rust around the rear trunk access panel. Other than that, it was pretty clean and straight. It drove/rode well and had a strong engine.

I bought the car off Ebay in a package deal that included 2 parts cars. I picked it up in Colby, KS and drove it 11 hours home to STL with my buddies following in my van with one of the parts cars on a hauler. The second parts car was dismembered for the good stuff which we stuffed in the van.

Here is the brief trip report from Jan. 2005 on Xweb 1.0:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/12159/message/1107069374/Brief+trip+report...

Hmmm... maybe I have a few pics of that trip. ;)
fiat-vs-guardrail-45mph-a (1).JPG75.JPG77.JPG79.JPGburn_hinge_77.JPGflatbed4_77.JPGheadlight_bucket.JPGjamie_77.JPG

Crossing the plains in January in an unknown X was a real adventure. The car made it with only one issue though. It was nearly out of gas when I picked it up (the seller did warn me) and we barely made it from the sellers farm back to town. It was sputtering and dieing for the last two miles to the gas station. From there we flew back across KS and MO without any further problems.

Here are some pics from when I sold it in the Xweb 1.0 FS&W:

IM001729.JPGIM001730.JPGIM001731.JPGIM001732.JPGim001738.JPGIM001739.JPGIM001741.JPGIM001742.JPGIM001743.JPGIM001744.JPG

It was also on the far left in this infamous pic:
IM001715ac.JPG
And peacefully resting with its siblings on the night before it was sold:
IM001803.JPG

I only tell you all this 'cause you asked so nice. :nana:

Attachments

• hauler2_75.JPG
    hauler2_75.JPG
    140.8 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Nice story, and thanks -

I didn't realize it was you that painted the X black.
The car had a "Count Dracula" look to it, with the red inside the trunk areas.

So how long did it last after it was sold? Sounds like short-lived...

It was painted like that when I bought it Bob

The red/orange cars shown in the trip pics are the 77-red and 75-orangish-red parts cars. Not sure why I didn't snap a pic of the "black-and-red" 79 that day. Probably because it was sitting over by the house and we were out by the barn loading and stripping the parts cars.

I believe the 79 lasted at least 2 months give or take. It was a single car accident involving a dark night and a narrow road, and it could have happened to any inexperienced driver.

About once a year, I meet up with the folks that bought the 79. The last time I saw them, you met them too. Now go think about that. :hmm:

Back