Smog test issue

Coupefan

True Classic
I've got a newer honeycomb type catalytic converter on my X. Apparently, a piece of the honeycomb has broken off and is sitting on the floor of the cat enclosure. Will this piece, being off to the side a little, have diminished 'cleaning' abilities during a smog test? Before the breakage, this cat gave excellent numbers.

I would hate to fail the test and get stuck with all of the bureaucracy that comes with that.

Could matter.

If there is a direct hole through the converter where exhaust gas can pass, then yes it will make a difference. The flow of exhaust will travel the path of least resistance and thus by pass the matrix of the convert. Should that happen the test results will be worst as the coverter is not doing what it should do. Coverting unburnt gases to meet emissions requirements.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

Yeah... probably won't hurt...

... as the amount the broken piece cleans would not be that significant.

I had a cat with a broken honeycomb in a Toyota that I noticed because it RATTLED when I reved the engine... I removed the cat, shook out the pieces... and flushed out the converter with a garden hose, then reinstalled it. It passed every 2 years for the 16 years I owned the van.

Back