So here's my story on buying fiberglass from Australia (long!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

User1

RETIRED Admin, pm OFF
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2><TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-TOP: 4px" vAlign=top colSpan=2>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]So here's my story on buying fiberglass from Australia (long!)<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]April 15 2001 at 12:52 PM[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "m";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "x";n54_em = n54_em + "1";n54_em = n54_em + "9";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + "g"; document.write("Mac"); // --> </SCRIPT>Mac <NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT> [/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=bottom colSpan=3><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->
A LOT of people are emailing me and asking me to talk about my experience buying one of the fiberglass front spoilers from Australia and having it shipped over here to the US. For the sake of clearing out some of the questions many folks are asking over and over, along with doing my duty to report my experience, I have finally decided FOR THE FIRST TIME to share THE WHOLE STORY on my purchase here in the forum...

spoiler1.jpg

YES my '80 X1/9's front spoiler came from John Black at the X1/9 shop in Australia. I am aware that many folks here in the forum are now considering (or proceeding with) transactions on fiberglass body parts as well as perhaps the folding vinyl top covers.

spoiler2.jpg

I bought my spoiler from John Black a little over a year ago. By popular demand I will now share my experiences on this purchase. Let me warn, though, it is not all good! (Don't let that scare you off, there are reasons your potential future purchase could go much better)...

You see, I was the first person in North America that bought anything like this from the X1/9 shop, according to John himself, and thus I was a "guinea pig" of sorts. We had a terrrible time trying to arrange shipping of the spoiler. First the Australian post office said to him "sure we can send it" and quoted a very cheap price. So I sent an international money order for the cost of the item + the meager postal charge quoted, and was pleased that the total cost after exchange rates came in comfortably around $250 US...

spoiler3.jpg

A good bit of time passed while John prepared the unit. He finally got it all packaged up and took it to the post office to ship, and suddenly they said "whoa we can't send THAT, it's too large"
sad.gif
Mind you, this is AFTER they already saw the thing and approved well in advance of my even sending payment....

So he emailed me, "we can cut it in half and send it in 2 pieces or find another shipper". Let me tell you, if I could work 'glass well enough to reassemble the 2 pieces, I would never have been buying this thing from so damn far away in the first place, I would just be making one myself right here!
tongue.gif

So we had to find another shipper. Because of this fact and that both he and I were attempting something new here, what seemed a simple transaction at the outset was really turning into a time-consuming ordeal that would take much longer than either of us expected (months to complete the transaction from start to finish) and the final shipping method ended up costing MORE than the damn spoiler itself!
sad.gif
When all was finally said and done I was into it about $500 US...

John really felt quite badly about how all of this was going. He is a hell of a nice guy really, and maintained clear & frequent email contact on the progress of the transaction at his end. He wanted to do something for me to help compensate for the shipping delays & frustrations we found ourselves in. As a kind gesture which (despite what happened next) I still appreciate to this day, John took the extra time and effort to (instead of the standard flat black primer usually shipped) prime and paint my spoiler gloss black to match my car, free of charge, and (without telling me) decided to include in the shipment a couple of really nice reproduction early X1/9 decals as an additional booster
happy.gif

Unfortunately there was even more bad news on the way. Once we finally were able to locate a shipper that would agree to get the spoiler here in one piece (it was harder than you might think!) and I sent another international money order to cover the added cost, the damn shipper put the spoiler in an OVEN or something (maybe the plane it was on flew too close to the sun?) cuz when the thing finally got here it was badly warped out of its original shape and all that gorgeous gloss black paint that John labored over was melted! I could tell it had to have looked utterly gorgeous when it left his hands but upon arrival at my end the paint was totally ruined
sad.gif

HOWEVER, LET ME BE CLEAR that all of those things, however unfortunate and frustrating, were not really John's fault as far as I can attest. It was just an unfortunate series of complications that neither of us could have predicted. In any event, I considered going after the shipper - for a moment - before I looked closely at the paperwork and realized that it had been passed through the hands of several companies in transit from Oz to here, any one of which could (and surely would) blame the damage on any of the others
sad.gif

So I just shook it off and was glad to finally HAVE THE THING IN MY HANDS. I decided that the deformity from heat would not be a tragic turn, I would just mount the thing as best I could, and over time, make small adjustments to the mounting bolts, eventually reforming the thing to the shape of the car. The paint being ruined was a much bigger bother to me (especially since he had done that as a gesture of kindness). I decided that I would mount and reform it first and deal with stripping & repainting it at some point down the road (no pun)...

SO it was finally time to put it on the car...

Here is where things get really interesting!!!
tongue.gif

Well, I can say that the spoiler is very cool, but (and here finally is 1 of the only 2 gripes I actually had on the fabrication of the spoiler itself) the mounting method leaves much to be desired - just bigass straight-headed bolts and wing nuts, where you must drill holes in the car's face at angles to match the molded holes in the spoiler. So what you end up with is bigass bolt heads sticking out of the spoiler corners at crazy angles because of how the holes through the curved spoiler are molded.

spoiler4.jpg

I wasn't exactly thirlled about that, but once I painted the silver bolts black it was not nearly as noticable. Now you have to look from a certain specific angle to really even notice it.

So if I had any advice for John on future spoilers made, it would be to modify the angle at which the bolts go through the spoiler so that the bolt heads would be able to sit flush to the spoiler surface.

Okay, so that's really not a BIG gripe in the grand scope of what we went through to do this deal. So then, what is that 2nd thing I mentioned?

Well, when I finally got the holes drilled in my car's face, cranked all the wing nuts down in gradual phases over a few weeks to reform the thing to the car's shape, only then was I able to notice that the spoiler's ends are not molded in the right shape to meet the matching surface of the fenders...

spoiler5.jpg

To this day there is a gap at either extreme end of the spoiler where it meets the fender. The gap there (even now that the spoiler has fully regained its shape) is still big enough to stick your finger in. The only way to fix it will be to pull the spoiler off and rework the fiberglass at the ends. So after all this business, it seems I will be learning to work with fiberglass anyway!
tongue.gif

All in all, it was a very educational experience. I did get bragging rights for being the only NA X owner with this unit, and in honesty it looks "alright" now even despite the continuing poor fit at the corners. Now that more folks seem to be setting up deals with the X1/9 Shop, I am apparently not even going to be the only one with this thing here in NA! Oh well, it was bound to happen eventually, bragging rights can be so fleeting
wink.gif

So all I really have left to speak of is the unit itself, which after shipping cost me nearly $500 US. Let me just say this, I am glad I did it, I am glad I got it and I'm glad it's on my car... BUT if I could do it over I would probably not.

Nothing against John, he's a great fellow, and if I were in Australia where I could just GO AND GET this stuff first-hand, I would not hesitate to do business with the X1/9 Shop again
happy.gif
It just turned out in the end to be far more expense and hassle from this distance than I was ever bargaining for... but ALSO keep in mind that I was the "guinea pig" for shipping to the States. Your results may be better (at my expense) so when you get your parts from John in one nice straight piece, you can thank ME for it!
tongue.gif
(j/k)...

I plan one day to pull the spoiler and completely rework it. Until then, even exactly as it is, it does look pretty damn cool - especially coupled with the bumperless conversion - so (if you can believe it) even after all that ordeal, I really am still glad I did it. Plus I have one hell of a story to tell!

Wow, so there it is. My story. All I can say
now is that I hope ALL OF YOU will have gained something from my story, something you did not think of in advance perhaps, pitfalls you did not consider, what to look out for and what not to try, and that others in NA who buy fiberglass from ANY OVERSEAS SOURCE will have an easier time with shipping at the expense of my having guinea-pigged it with John.

I tell ya what though, if I had the money right now I would definitely (even after all that) consider buying one of those collapsible tops! Damn those look cool - I must be a glutton!!
tongue.gif
Please let me know what happens with you if you are shipping things in like this, and here's to X1/9s, the reason all of us are doing crazy sh*t like this in the first place!! -Mac.

spoiler6.jpg

<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Author[/FONT]</TD><TD>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Reply[/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "g";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + "g";n54_em = n54_em + "g";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "m";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "u"; document.write("Gary Collins"); // --> </SCRIPT>Gary Collins <NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Front Spoiler (War and Peace)<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]April 15 2001, 5:16 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Mac,
That's one sad story but the spoiler I have put on
My car is a glass reproduction that I purchased
a Fiat spare parts place in Brisbane.It is a copy
of an original rubber one but looks just like the
one you have.The only difference is the mounting
method.Instead of long bolts mine has metal tabs
installed at right angles to the glass and to fit
it on the car required holes to be drilled just
like yours.I must add that mine has a very minor
gap at each end but hardly visible at all.The worst
part of all this is that I paid only $150aud for it
as it was the only one they had and wanted outta
there.By the way instead of the no bumper look I
removed all the rubber stuff,welded up the holes
and shortened the shock mounts and replaced the
original bumper and it looks much better.Must go
as this is getting as long as war and peace.

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Perry[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Let us see how it looks put some pics on the board please<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]April 15 2001, 5:22 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Some of us might want to do the same and would really appreciate to see how it turned out. Thanks.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "m";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "x";n54_em = n54_em + "1";n54_em = n54_em + "9";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + "g"; document.write("Mac"); // --> </SCRIPT>Mac <NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->not so sad a story<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]April 16 2001, 8:47 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->I have done many parts deals in my time, from many countries around the world. Some deals definitely have gone better than others, but in the final analysis I don't feel "sad" about this one. I have the thing now and ultimately there is always some risk in bringing strange parts from great distances.

I hope I have not scared the bejeezus out of everyone thinking of trying parts import themselves, that was not my goal! I just wanted to answer all these duplicate questions I have been repeatedly getting asked via email, all at once, and to share my story because that's what we do here
happy.gif
and in the hopes that folks who are thinking of any long-distance parts import themselves from any country so far away might be able to benefit from my experiences somehow!

Now I'm afraid I haven't left readers with a balanced presentation
sad.gif
so LET ME ADD that there are a lot of things about that spoiler that I really DO like!
happy.gif

- Its construction is nice & rigid, not at all flimsy
- It has a lip that fits the grille area like a glove
- It actually makes the car run noticably cooler!
- Everyone who sees it says "wow" even with the bolts
wink.gif

- It is quite rare in this part of the world

As for curing, I am no expert but I am inclined to believe the unit was made right and then warped from heat in transit because of the way the paint took heat damage. Also because it really did not take that much effort to get the thing straightened out, just turn the screws down a little more every few days til it was right -Mac.

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "v";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "g";n54_em = n54_em + "f";n54_em = n54_em + "y";n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "t"; document.write("Steven Lawson"); // --> </SCRIPT>Steven Lawson <NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 45px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->spoiler go boom?<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]April 18 2001, 10:31 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 45px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->One poster mentioned that the glass would have released fumes for awhile. Is it possible that's where the heat treatment came from, fumes getting ignited in the box?? Probably would have blown a seam open on the packaging, but wouldn't have kept burning. Wadayathink, some shipping worker that smokes soil his shorts as he moved your spoiler?
happy.gif

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]JP[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Fiberglass<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]April 15 2001, 7:40 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Mac, Sounds to me like the fiberglass wasan't allowed to cure long enough. Projects like thease need to be left on the form or in the mold longer depending on the type of resin used. Sounds like a real bummer. Glad you finally got it mounted. Some glass shrinks and warps like hell so be careful in choosing material if you try dooing it yourself. JP <!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "m";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "x";n54_em = n54_em + "1";n54_em = n54_em + "9";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + "g"; document.write("Mac"); // --> </SCRIPT>Mac <NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->I'm no expert but I think it was cured properly<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]April 16 2001, 9:05 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->I say that because to me it was obvious the thing was warped in shipping by the way the paint had suffered heat damage, and because once I got the bolts tightened down over time the spoiler did come right back to its proper form. If it had been improperly cured it would have just cracked when I tried that, no? -Mac.

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]JP[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 45px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Fiberglass<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]April 16 2001, 10:37 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 45px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->It's hard to say Mac, It sounds like shrinkage to me. Otherwise it woudn't be short on the ends. Maybe the paint caused a chemical reaction to cause it to get hot., or maybe it set on the tarmac at some airport in the desert. Not knowing what the process was were just shooting in the dark. Do you know if it is polyester or epoxy? Did he use epoxy paint? Their not compatible. What the heck, if it looks ok now you still have bragging rights. JP<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "d";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "m";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "y";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "m"; document.write("Danny"); // --> </SCRIPT>Danny <NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 60px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->While we're on the spoiler subject...<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]April 16 2001, 10:48 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 60px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Does anyone know where to get the stock black plastic spoiler for a later (mine's an 82) X? I just need the center section. I've looked around with no success. Thanks for any 'relp'.

-Danny

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "b";n54_em = n54_em + "u";n54_em = n54_em + "d";n54_em = n54_em + "g";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "z";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "g";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "y";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "m"; document.write("Gregory Smith"); // --> </SCRIPT>Gregory Smith <NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->shipping question<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]April 16 2001, 1:23 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->So Mac, who did you end up shipping through? I was thinking FedEx is a global company that's pretty reliable, but I haven't seen Castaway yet.

I'm just wondering because I've used USPS and UPS for different stuff, most recently an 850 gas tank. Basically, if you can get it in a box, you can ship it. Our USPS has some limits on total volume and weight, but I squeezed in just under the limit.

Just curious who you contracted with and who ended up doing the actual transporting.

Also the paint problem was probably a chemical reaction, as was stated. Resins off-gas for a long time and in a box in transit, the fumes have nowhere to go! BTW, looks good!
happy.gif

closeThread.gif
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->wish I could tell you<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]April 17 2001, 6:39 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Afraid you'd have to ask John, as it has been over a year, I have long since chucked the paperwork. All I do remember is that we priced out going with Da Big Dogs (UPS, FedEx etc) and they all wanted so much at the time that it made my stomach turn
sad.gif

I suppose in retrospect I may even have been better off to just bite the bullet and give one of those shippers the fortune they were asking, as the company we finally went with (as indicated by the package passing through so many hands) was not a "global concern". I do recall I had never heard of the shipper who launched it from Oz, but when it got Stateside it was brought the final leg of its journey by DHL.

Just a final note, regardless of all the suspicions raised, I still maintain that the thing was ship-damaged and not poorly cured or chemically altered by the paint. If you could see it in person perhaps it would make more sense why I say that.

Nothing is actually "wrong" with the spoiler physically except for those corners, and although it was proposed that the ends curled chemically I disagree. The ends look as though they were simply molded with not quite enough there (maybe on purpose?) which was why I directed that particular comment toward the maker, not the shipper.

Also I have been contacted via email by others who have purchased this same unit and have similar comments on the extreme corners, whose units were not painted as mine was, which tends to make me think they are simply molded this way.

I don't know. I hesitate to think the process went afoul as John has been working with fiberglass for a long time as anyone going to their website can see. I still hope this whole saga of mine will not detract from what they offer over there, I am not trying to scare folks away, just feel it is my duty to tell my experience -Mac.

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "p";n54_em = n54_em + "m";n54_em = n54_em + "u";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "k";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "q";n54_em = n54_em + "w";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "t"; document.write("Stefan Mullikin"); // --> </SCRIPT>Stefan Mullikin <NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 45px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->How about the company I work for?<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]April 17 2001, 9:36 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 45px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start --><Shameless plug> I work for Emery Worldwide, we are a subsidiary of CNF motor freight and we have offices all over the world. I know the manager at our office in Australia (he's a motorcycle nut, like my boss and they will do little favors for each other occasionally)

I'll tlak to some people at work and see if I can put you in contact with someone who can help. Our company can and will handle almost anything, we're the ones that did most of the USPS express mail, until we got tired of them screwing us on the money and we told them to take a flying leap...

If you want to try through normal channels, head here: http://www.emeryworld.com or call (503) 288-9550
</Shameless plug>

Just trying to help!
Stefan<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Gilles[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 60px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->I support your opinion !<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]April 19 2001, 12:17 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 60px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Stefan:

Sometimes the couriers give you a lot of excuses, specially when you are trying to ship odd sizes or hazardous materials (like aircraft batteries, solvents etc).

And everytime I end calling Emery, their Emery Gold service is awesome; Expensive yes, but when you must have the part tomorrow (overseas) it's the only way to go!

GP<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "p";n54_em = n54_em + "m";n54_em = n54_em + "u";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "k";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "q";n54_em = n54_em + "w";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "t"; document.write("Stefan Mullikin"); // --> </SCRIPT>Stefan Mullikin <NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 75px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Re: How about the company I work for?<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]April 19 2001, 9:58 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 75px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->I could ship it for free if it was within the US, but overseas, my boss would probably freak. Our Gold Service is of course the most expensive that is offered. I would think I could maybe get a deal setup, let me ask around...

If anyone is interested, lmk and we'll talk.

Stefan

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back