So many 128s for me...just out of reach

carl

True Classic
1. Been in discussion with a gentleman who wants to sell me his project four door sedan....but even though we agreed on price hasn't decided if he really wants to sell it. This has been going on for a year.

2. Another 128 four door that was stripped and painted but never reassembled. Sadly I was asleep at my email and a good friend got it.

3. Number 2 came with a parts 128 four door that I thought of trying to get for a Friedmanworks rat rod but it really is too rusty in odd places with perforations in the roof and really ugly rusted out areas in the area just ahead of the trunk lid. Oddly the floors and windshield/rear window surrounds are in great shape.

4. Another friend has an old 128 SL race car he wants to sell me but I would have to be able to put it back on the street. I have to go for a show and tell session to see what's really up with that car although converting a caged race car back to the street comes with a whole host of problems.

My head hurts.

Well if I have left over spare parts you can use them for the Sl, which are hella cool by the way.

Whats a cut off disk between friends?

So many dangerous enabling friends! Turns out the SL has no title and I'm not going through the agony of trying to generate one.

Yes, cutoff wheels and MIGs were meant to take things that should be in the trash and make them viable....every car guy knows that!

Last year I bought a Honda CB550 from a friend with no title. I went through Vermont and got one, it really was not bad as long as the seller signs some papers.

I'm too old to deal with crap like that. I want things nice and simple....like walking into my DMV with a title signed over to me......from the owner.

The number 1 listed car above was originally for sale without a title because that's the way the guy got it. I'm dealing with the guy who bought if from him and he worked with the original seller to get a title through a mechanics lien. It still cost him $500. The guy I'm dealing with had bought two 128 four doors, one of which I'm trying to get. When I went to look at it he had just got back to Virginia from Texas with a third 128 but a two door. Did anyone understand this short story?

This is why I won't buy a Fiat without a title...in fact, not even a parts car since the junkyards won't take a car with no title.

I believe they "closed" the Vermont Loop hole a month or two ago.
It isn’t closed, it is just more restrictive. You just need to be friends with Jon Ranney so he can ’own‘ the car. We may need to pay him a dealer license fee if we all become too flagrant with pushing through him.

The change to the regs as I understand it is the new owner has to have a home/live in Vermont. No more phantom owners with PO Boxes…

Just did a bonded title on the project 75 Alfetta. Was a pretty straight forward process, but lots of little steps in two states (I dragged it home to Nebraska from New Mexico). I was considering it a donor body, until I saw how good it really was. Plus being a '75, and California, and all.

Still have three years where a potential prior owner could verify ownership and I'd lose the bond. But not likely since the guy before me got it from a junkyard w/o title.

Probably would not have risked this on a $15K finished car, but on a shell worth two seats and a couple syncro rings, I figured it was worth a shot.

VT is a no title after 15 years state & I've used this myself in the past when I bought a "parts car" with no title. It ended up being easily fixable so I put it on the road. Worked with a guy from VT & paid him 50 bucks + reg fees to get me a VT reg & bill of sale. I was able to register in NH W/O a title since I had "bought" it in VT. NH is 20 years & the same can be done here as well.

Back