Some days...

FiatFunk

True Classic
Finally got it to the point of first start up. Or so I thought. Start pouring coolant in and it leaks out from the block off plate under the t housing. Shits been going sideways in life lately and I did not need that!! I'll pull the gearbox off when I start feeling better... 😑

Ok I just got into it and as expected found the problem right away. I received two gaskets that fit, but the one I used wasn't right. Maybe for a 1300? I don't know. I failed to notice that it didn't seal at the top.
And I'll definitely be cleaning that corrosion better before reassembly.
Would it be recommended to use rtv instead of it as well as the gasket?

Attachments

• PXL_20240414_014904256~2.jpg
    PXL_20240414_014904256~2.jpg
    309.1 KB · Views: 36
Finally got it to the point of first start up. Or so I thought. Start pouring coolant in and it leaks out from the block off plate under the t housing. Shits been going sideways in life lately and I did not need that!! I'll pull the gearbox off when I start feeling better... 😑
Damn, I did that about ten years ago, might even have been the same wrong gasket thing. Just about the most possible reason to have to pull the transmission.

Damn, I did that about ten years ago, might even have been the same wrong gasket thing. Just about the most possible reason to have to pull the transmission.
Yeah frustrating but after a couple days break to gather composure it wasn't too bad to pull the gearbox. I'll do some more after work tomorrow and it should be good to go. Probably be difficult getting that gearbox back on tho.

Yeah frustrating but after a couple days break to gather composure it wasn't too bad to pull the gearbox. I'll do some more after work tomorrow and it should be good to go. Probably be difficult getting that gearbox back on tho.
It will be surprisingly not difficult, it's one of the things that gets a lot easier the second or third time around. I'm just just feeling your entire "oh man I'm doing this agaaaain...." pain

It will be surprisingly not difficult, it's one of the things that gets a lot easier the second or third time around. I'm just just feeling your entire "oh man I'm doing this agaaaain...." pain
Got it just now but that was far from easy. The previous time was with the engine out, quite easy. Tried using a couple of old head studs in the top two bosses but that wouldn't let the driveshaft flange clear the flywheel. Eventually after a lot of cursing my car, it understood that I wasn't giving up, and cooperated. I got the one bolt thru the rear boss and managed to get two head studs in the upper and pry it into place with a 2x4. Few more things to reconnect and then it should be start time :)

Last edited:
Back