Spare tire strap DIY

budgetzagato

Administrator
My Scorpion didn't come with spare tire hold-downs (or the bucket for that matter). Yesterday I picked up 72" of 1.5" wide strap material and several plastic buckles with an eye for seeing if I could make my own hold-downs.

I used nearly all of the strap material, and also some small aluminum tube to protect the strapping where it wraps around the metal wire clips built into the car. I used some stout stainless steel wire for the center connector. I'll see if the nylon buckles are up to the engine bay heat. If not, I'll get some metal buckles.

I wanted to create a system of straps that was as simple as possible, with one buckle and one tension adjustment. Time will tell if this works.

IMG_1043_2_zps567c3390.jpg

Thanks...

I think it will work better than the rubber bungees I was using.

When I got the car there was no spare tire. No spare tire saddle, no straps. I don't think I've ever driven a car intentionally without a spare (except like to drive this car home). Many new cars don't have spares but I'd feel pretty stupid if I needed one.

My only worry is that the (nylon?) buckles and clasp won't take the heat. Now that it's prototyped I can do some sewing in place of the buckles you can't see.

Back