Special Tool

phillies4752

True Classic
I am looking for a special tool to borrow to take off my head.

I have a 1500 so i need the 17mm tool not the 19mm.

I would be more then willing to pay for shipping here and back!!

Thanks!!

If you have head bolts...

instead of the stud/nut arrangement on the earlier engines, you don't really need a special tool.

The special tool was to help pry the head off the studs, which it would gall to/get corroded to over the years. Head bolts don't have this problem.

Pete

instead of the stud/nut arrangement on the earlier engines, you don't really need a special tool.

The special tool was to help pry the head off the studs, which it would gall to/get corroded to over the years. Head bolts don't have this problem.

Pete

I am not sure if we are talking about the same tool. I am looking for a box wrench designed to torque down on the head bolts to get the correct torque while the overhead cam is still on the head.

Ah I thought you were talking about the head removal tool

not the head re-torquing tool.

Removing the cam box is no big deal. Good opportunity to replace that leaking cam box gasket.

Just be sure to loosen and tighten the bolts in a pattern, a little at a time. If you just start taking bolts out from one end, the spring pressure is going to want to bend the cam box. Loosen them all a few turns at a time until the cam box is free. Same with tightening.

Pete

not the head re-torquing tool.

Removing the cam box is no big deal. Good opportunity to replace that leaking cam box gasket.

Just be sure to loosen and tighten the bolts in a pattern, a little at a time. If you just start taking bolts out from one end, the spring pressure is going to want to bend the cam box. Loosen them all a few turns at a time until the cam box is free. Same with tightening.

Pete

Does the cam box have a actual gasket or is it some kind of sealant??

Does the cam box have a actual gasket or is it some kind of sealant??

These days finding the 17 mm head bolt retorging tool is almost impossible. I think the Fiat America tool fund might have one...

The cam box bask gasket is availiable in three styles.
Thick http://www.fiatplus.com/thick-cam-box-base-gasket-pr-290997.html
Thin http://www.fiatplus.com/camshaft-housing-base-gasket-pr-285549.html These I had made up special as the original tan paper ones from Fiat would fail so often that taking off the cam box to service the head bolts WAS needed, as the gasket had probably failed!
Original, I no longer stock for the above reason.

Chris Obert

Chris, why would someone want the thick gasket? In case they had the head shaved?

Ed

It's actually Fiat production for some 1116 motors.
Let's say you can't get your valves adjusted with the stock paper gasket because you can't get shims that thin. Helps a lot there...
Chris Obert

I just bought one from Matt at Midwest bay less for about 70.00. Don't know what round trip shipping would cost?

Back