Sportier gauges for my 128

carl

True Classic
I'd like to install gauges with a bit more of a sporty look and include a tach. My plan was to make a new gauge panel face and use a 124 spider speedo and tach but they are too deep and won't fit. 79 and later 124 gauges are shallower but have a push on speedo cable rather than thread on. I may tear apart two 124 speedos to insert a 140 mph speedo into an 80mph shallow housing but before I go through that I thought I would scare up any other ideas you guys might have. The obvious solution is to try and locate a stock 128 gauge cluster that includes a tach which apparently existed in other markets but I'm not aware of any for sale. I have a friend with an 850 and if he has spare gauges I might see if they work.

Other ideas? Not interested in any modern expensive electonic conversion.

carl

I put 850 Spider gauges in my wife's 128. It took a little doing and a custom bezel, but they seem to work just fine. The speedometer drive portion of the two gauges were identical and required no modification.

20150917_223315_zpsrmfvluxn.jpg

20150917_223233_zpsdueyt9kb.jpg

I also removed the ash tray and moved the coolant temp gauge and fuel level gauge to that position.

20150922_201734_zpsdifdnere.jpg

20150922_210506_zpsdzewokfr.jpg

The next time I have the cluster out I plan to add a couple of small idiot lights between the two gauges. It's a little odd to look a foot to the right to see coolant temp and fuel level. Plus I think the bezel looks a little plain and has too much open space.

Good luck!

gauges

I saw your mods on your original post. I don't have the skills to make the extended rim for the gauges, did you do this to provide the necessary space for the gauges to fit?

carl

Can you take them apart and redo the faces, maybe in white? I've done several x1/9 clusters that way (as have many others).

I put later 124 Spider gauges in my '76. I think a Brava Speedo cable was the answer? I don't recall, but it's clip-on.

My Rally has the later dash. Dave Voss did the conversion on it when he owned it, using shallow Speedos (850?) with the thread-on speedo. He notched the firewall down from the speedo hole to work with the different cable orientation. I don't recall that being an issue on the '76.

http://mirafiori.com/~courtney/128/corral/court/court2.html

guages

I already thought of later style 124 guages which are an inch shorter in depth but a later clip on spider cable is 65" long rather than the 128 42" so a rather large loop of the cable is needed. If the 850 gauges I'm getting don't pan out I may put the guts of an early 124 gauge into the housing of a later gauge. I love silly projects like this.

carl

I used the big 124 gauges and cut the angled front off them to install them behind the standard 128 dash face plate. I also did a lot of modifications to the housing inside the dashboard. It was a lot of work and I'd probably do it slightly differently if I was to do it again. I do have lots of pictures on my t124 thread here.
http://t124.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3986&start=120

Gauges

I got an 850 tach and speedo and they are the shallow units like later 124 spiders but with a thread on speedo cable so I will try those and see if they fit. I really don't want to cut up the stock gauge panel.

carl

My 128 wagon came with a 128 rally instrument set and steering wheel installed by the builder/previous owner. The oil sensor is hooked up to the light, not the gauge; on the list to change at some point.
Andrew

Back