starter flywheel part 2

dan in new mexico

Daily Driver
Thanks for responces below...in driving more today...i'm thinking more the noises are from the tranny...noise can be heard through first three gears...goes away in fourth...and also seems to be quiet when clutch is engaged..tranny has plenty fluid...what should be my next step? thanks in advance. dan in new mexico//btw...i have a standby trans...if needed from a 75 four speed.

The release bearing would make noise with the clutch pedal depressed and would be quiet when the pedal is up (bearing not contacting the fingers on the p-plate).

My first thought was the sheet metal shield between the engine and trans but it's starting to sound like it might be in the trans itself.

///Mike

that's what he said

had a transmission shop guy just give a listen..and let me know what he thought..he said he was pretty sure it was the throw out bearing...so looks like one way or the other the trannys' gonna have to drop...and perhaps i'll slap the standby in..what does the master steve hoelscher(sp?)...think? thanks for input guys. dan

Trans or no trans... Dan...

Ifin' yur gonna drop the trans to replace the T/O bearing... might as well replace the clutch pressure plate and disc also.

While yur at it... if there is a nearby resource, have the flywheel lightened as well... usually it looses about 4 pounds but the mill-er needs ta know what he's doin' and then rebalance it also.

You'll NOT regret doing all of this and the price is less than $250 for labor and parts.

Back