Starter issues...?????

Rope42

Daily Driver
Ok I got the brakes fixed I got the car running and idling pretty good still have to put points and condenser in it now the rebuilt starter that I replaced earlier is just clicking like a bad solenoid. I was told by the seller of the starter to check on my ground I checked the battery ground and the ground to the engine everything is OK my question is is there a starter relay somewhere in the car if so where is it located if not what make make the starter go bad so quickly?

There is no starter relay in the car as standard but one could have been added though it's not likely.

Adding one is very easy and takes a huge load off the ignition switch. I added one to my Coupe and it helps. At the same time I added a remote starter switch to the engine compartment which can come in handy.

I had your issue last year and believe it or not it was the positive clamp onto the battery that was the problem. On my car the clamp is as old as the car and as a result has been on and off a battery hundreds of times. This had deformed lead over time and even though it was clamping to the post, I believe it was clamping to a very small part of the total surface area of the post. This smaller surface area would sometimes provide enough electron transfer and other times not.

I loosened the clamp bolt and pried the clamp open, made sure the arms were level and that the interior faces were smooth. Clamped it back on, noted it sat much further down and had a more even relationship to the post and have not had the click and dim lights of not enough power on the dash since. Sometimes it's the little things that need attention... :whistle:

Thanks for your info I will try to do the same with my very well used battery cable end or I might just replace it with a battery disconnect thanks for your info I will try to do the same with my very well used battery cable indoor I might just replaced it with a battery disconnect

Back