Stripped Pedal Support Stud

mblommel

True Classic
Haven't been on the forum for a while, but finally started working on the X last night. I was in the process of re-installing the pedal support under the dash after swapping my brake line distribution block to the '75 and later style that eliminates the NLA pressure switch that was leaking.

So, I'm tightening (very gently) the two 13mm nuts that support the pedal assembly at the back and.... the lower one stripped. :mad4:

It looks as though the studs are just pressed in from the other side in the front trunk. I used a punch and a BFH and tried to dislodge it from under the dash but it wasn't budging. A quick check of McMaster Carr shows no metric press-in studs with the OEM style head.

Has anyone else here experienced a similar tale of woe? I'm pretty sure I can get the stud out (eventually) but I don't really want to just weld in a bolt. I think would look a little cheesy to open the front trunk and look down at the reinforcement doubler and there is one, round-head, press-in stud and one hex-head welded bolt.

I've considered calling Matt at Midwest to see if he has a good used one, but it seems that the quality of OEM fasteners on these cars isn't all that great. I've been slowly replacing everthing with stainless as needed.

Any thoughts or hints would be appreciated. :dead:

I dunno...

... but if the symmetry is what yur after... remove BOTH old bolts and install two new HEX headed blots with washers.

With help from a friend or spouse or significant other... the bolt could be held in the front trunk while you tightened it down in the cockpit.

No welding required... takes 5 minutes...

What you seek exists...

Check wheel stud type studs, they usually have a round head.. I recently saw quite a selection in the Dorman catalog.

Would one of these work?
http://www.talon-eng.co.uk/talon-nuts-bolts.asp

For removal, you may need to enlist a helper. Use a socket that just fits over the round head and have someone apply weight to the back side as you tap the old stud back through. If that doesn't work, it may be tack welded in place. Find the weld and grind it off with a dremel or similar small grinder.

Back