Strut braces

I'm not overly familiar with the tower layout on the Lancias, but in general the most common mistake people make in regards to strut tower braces is they have heim joints at the ends. This defeats nearly all the purpose of the brace. You are attempting to limit the flex of the chassis by triangulation. Imagine if you made a square with joints at each corner, there is nothing to stop it from collapsing into a trapezoid. Look at any factory strut brace, it is mounted with bolts rigidly to the chassis usually with at least 2 bolts per attachment spaced some distance apart to spread the load and resist twisting...

I recently bought the X1/9 strut brace below to investigate making a set for the Scorpion. Haven't done anything with it yet and have a few more pressing projects ahead of it.

Weld flatbar strips to front and back of rear crossmember. Crossmembers corrode from Inside out and crack. Not my image.

EAC0202D-06CB-4DB7-B067-5A11BE230E35.png

Another.

00D8DA32-6C7F-4BF4-B0DA-20F3967E7783.jpeg

An idea to prevent moisture inside and add more rigidity it to fill crossmember with expanding foam. Definitely treat inside with anti-corrosion chemical. Use gas tank sealer inside.

Last edited:
Check the crossmember and you may well see that yours has been reinforced already. Seems most cars have had this done by now, as was the case on mine.

Check the crossmember and you may well see that yours has been reinforced already. Seems most cars have had this done by now, as was the case on mine.
No, mine is not reinforced. Interesting that the Fiat spider forums have plenty of discussion about how their crossmembers can crack, but for Lancias I haven't been able to find anything on this forum (until now) or the web. Maybe I don't know the magic words to search with.

Found this on https://lanciamontecarlo.club/, which gives a little bit more context to the "fix". Probably something I will want to put off until I have to pull the engine. If my member looks like it is intact, would it not make sense to drill a couple of small holes along its length to let any possible water to drain out? Seems to me that filling it with foam would be a moisture trap.

Attachments

• DSCN2478_1957-1-scaled.jpg
    DSCN2478_1957-1-scaled.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 102
Found this on https://lanciamontecarlo.club/, which gives a little bit more context to the "fix". Probably something I will want to put off until I have to pull the engine. If my member looks like it is intact, would it not make sense to drill a couple of small holes along its length to let any possible water to drain out? Seems to me that filling it with foam would be a moisture trap.
You might also look on lancisti.net for some other info around this. A good resource to be a part of.

No, mine is not reinforced. Interesting that the Fiat spider forums have plenty of discussion about how their crossmembers can crack, but for Lancias I haven't been able to find anything on this forum (until now) or the web. Maybe I don't know the magic words to search with.

Many auto forums became ghost towns after Facebook. Wasn't going to mention lancisti.net here unless mods approved but now that Karl has, its Lancia oriented than looking on a Fiat forum. But there are Facebook groups dedicated to Montecarlo and Montecarlo restoration and that is where I grabbed some of the photos of crossmembers I shared above.

Monte Hospital sold a upgraded crossmember but are out of stock or no longer producing.

Some people claim it cracks due to stress from engine rotating with torque and the solution is to add a upper engine mount to the rear shelf. And that reinforcing the top of crossmember is better due to that stress.

I've actually found the X1/20 section here to have more activity these past few years than the Scorpion section at Lancisti, which is why I'm here much more often. There is a fair amount of good information in the archive of older posts, though.

Back