Strut question...

LarryHam

Daily Driver
Hi everyone! I ordered my new rear kyb struts for my 78 X from Midwest, and they'll be here next week (thanks Thomas!). I know that I will have to modify them to fit my 78, because they're actually for the 80-88 X. I also ordered the parts to do the modification, but I wanted to ask if anyone else has done this mod, and what I can expect in the way of difficulties. I have a spring compressor so I think I'm all ready to go. Any suggestions on how this is going to work? Thanks!

I'm NOT aware of any differences...

... in mounting KYBs...

Summit show ONE model for front and one for rear of ALL years.

Do look up my suggestions in version 1.0 especially for cutting the front springs... nor give me a call...

The fronts are interchangable for all years. The rears are different because of the different axles and joints from the 4 speed to the 5 speed.

Bob
78 X
1500 4 speed

I believe it is the upper perch assembly

Hi Larry,

I have KYBs on my 78, both front and rear, so they do mount up to the uprights. I am sure Matt can provide a definitive answer on what you need to do, but I am pretty sure the only difference is the upper perch assembly. This is probably the set of parts Matt sent you when you say "I also ordered the parts to do the modification".

When you take the old strut out you will probably be able to see the difference in the parts for the upper perch. Just be careful to note the order that things came off as you dissemble the old set. Then match the items up with the late model parts from Matt as you put the strut back together.

Also... do respect the spring and strut compressor. There is more energy there than you think. I got a little careless once and shot a part clear across the garage and it was really flying. BANG!

Hi Tony

As note below, the rears are different for the models after 1979. But, the perch assembly is the only real difference. I was really just asking if anyone had converted their 74-79 to the later struts, and if there were any fit problems. I cut my front springs back in 2003 on the advice of some guy named Tony.... and I loved the results!

The difference is in the rear strut to upright mount beyond the spring perch height. The 5 speed mount is raised by an offset mount while the 4 speed mount is basically straight. This was done to add extra clearance for the larger CV joints used in the 5 speed rear suspension.

Regardless, the 4 speed rear struts will fit the 5 speed rear uprights even if the clearance appears to be small.

The ride hight can be adjusted by cutting the springs as required.

Hint, use a set of rear springs in the front and resist the temptation to make the front of the X lower than the rear. The X chassis does not work as well when set up to look visually "better".

And, a set of "Plia" pivots will make a difference in steering effort.

Bernice

As note below, the rears are different for the models after 1979. But, the perch assembly is the only real difference. I was really just asking if anyone had converted their 74-79 to the later struts, and if there were any fit problems. I cut my front springs back in 2003 on the advice of some guy named Tony.... and I loved the results!

Aw... always learning sumthun!

I did not look CLOSE enough... Summit sells the front struts for ALL years but the rears are for 79 and newer.

Sorry if I confused ya... I guess I haven't been around enough 78's and earlier...

Bernice... You say here...

The difference is in the rear strut to upright mount beyond the spring perch height. The 5 speed mount is raised by an offset mount while the 4 speed mount is basically straight. This was done to add extra clearance for the larger CV joints used in the 5 speed rear suspension.

Regardless, the 4 speed rear struts will fit the 5 speed rear uprights even if the clearance appears to be small.

I assume though, not visa versa... Right?

Just what are the parts that Larry bought to adapt these struts to his 78?

Swings both ways...

...1300 rear strut fits 1500 X.
1500 rear strut fits 1300 X.

Angled mount of 1500 strut clears 1300 CV with extra space.
Straight mount of 1300 strut is close to 1500 CV, but still clears adequately.

Upper shaft is different between the two styles,
and requires upper spring perch for the style being fitted.
So...that's the part Larry bought...1500 upper rear spring perch.
Which is a single piece.

Unlike the 1300 upper rear spring perch,
which is multi-piece...configured like front of all years,
with phenolic pivot bushing, flat pivot plate, and aluminum cone.

this is what i bought from Matt:

233004 - KYB GR-2 Strut (Rear)
4233917 -Strut Bump Stop (74-88)
U8 Spring Perch Pair Rear
4289221-Strut Centering Cone Top

See olerascal's post below..

Bernice

I assume though, not visa versa... Right?

Just what are the parts that Larry bought to adapt these struts to his 78?

Back