Tail light differences between 1974 and later cars?

74 tailights

Hi,
The 1974 are red/red/clear while 1975 and up are orange/red/clear. To my knowledge they are the same except for that. I do have a full box of spare tailllight. Finding them is not hard. Finding perfect ones is a little harder. Finding the red blinkers is tougher but just expect to pay a higher price...

Daniel Forest
1987 Bertone X1/9
1980 Fiat X1/9
Montreal, Canada

Same tail light assembly works for all years. The only difference is that some have a red lens for the turn signal while others had an amber lens for the turn signal. (The taillight is red and the reverse light is white always, of course).

Matt has both the red and the amber turn signal lenses, so it's up to you which you prefer. Red is original for a '74.

Not sure if the red turn signals were '74-only or not. I had red ones on my '78 way back when and can't recall what was on my '77 before I took it all apart and put everything in boxes. Like Daniel said, finding PERFECT ones is the hard part. But like Eric said, they're all interchangable.

Not sure if the red turn signals were '74-only or not. I had red ones on my '78 way back when and can't recall what was on my '77 before I took it all apart and put everything in boxes.

I'm pretty sure that red isnt '74-only, but I don't know when the cutover might have happened - no reason to expect that it was at a model-year boundary.

Back