Tall wannabe owner on the south coat of england

slow

Hi Guys,

I've been looking into, and am preping myself up on buying an X1/9.
With the intention of getting something that's tatty but MOTable.
(Probably a late model)

Then getting to work on the engine over the winter.

I've bit of experience with pratting around with cars from my little Mk2 Spitfire, but am quite looking forward to getting something which can be used in the winter months!

I'll also be looking at an engine swap. (Something relatively simple, around the 150bhp mark. - no alfa V6's for me, although i'm very impressed with such projects.)

First question, Is there anyone on this forum who's 6ft 5"??
Do you fit in an X1/9???

I can *just* fit in the spitfire, (you practically lie in them) but am concerned there's just not enough leg-space...

Any advice greatly welcome.

Chris

Welcome aboard...

Regarding you fitting in an X... I'm 6ft 0" with my height pretty evenly spread between my legs and torso, and I'm always wishing for another half inch of leg room... plenty of head room. I fit in Spitfires with room to spare.

How well you fit is going to depend if your height is in you legs or your torso... but at 6ft 5" you're going to be pushing it.

Hi and thanks for the reply,

Also, Eeekk!!!!!
I think my first port of call is to go and sit in one!!

Is there anything that can be played with to extend legroom?

Possible to move the pedal box further front?

Is there space on the floorpan for the seat to be mounted further back or does it hit the firewall straight away?

Hello and welcome (again)!

I know a local gentleman with an X and I believe he is maybe just 1 to 2 inches shorter than you. He has his seat bolted to the floor and pushed back a bit and he just fits in. Trying to imagine him being taller still, I'm not sure if he could do it. I'm not sure about adjustment to the pedals. There is a speaker ledge behind the seats that could probably be removed or angled to gain a few inches of rearward seat psoitioning, if you don't mind messing with your interior.

I'm the same as Jim W - 6' 0" pretty evenly spread between legs and torso - and I just fit in it with the factory seat configuration. It honestly isn't too bad, but just a jad bit more leg room and head room would be ideal. I agree with the recommendation of sitting in one.

Good luck!

Early model might be a better fit...

Late models had more stuff and padding in the interior, wider consoles, etc. Notably the seat belt retractor on late model USA versions keeps the seat from sliding all the way to the rear bulkhead. Not sure if messing with it, changing it's location or style of belt would ruin your MOT results.

Try one on, try different years on if possible. You'll soon know if it's even conceivable. I'm nearly 6'2" but slim, I fit fine.

Welcome Chris, and I appreciate your passion...

... but unless your MOT program allows you to make some serious mods, I think you will NOT be very comfortable in an X1/9, skinny or not.

There are a few options that some have mentioned... that will help. If purchasing a later model, modifying and mounting earlier seats will help, or installing thinner aftermarket seats will work also. Removing tracks and mounting them directly to the pan will give you some more room... relocating the seat-belt winder or installing another harness will allow the seat to be moved back even further.

Lastly, in this area... removing the spare, and the gas tank... and then cutting out the rear "package tray", will allow you another 4 inches of rearward travel. A fuel cell can then be mounted in the front or rear trunk... and a smaller spare also or a can of Fix-a Flat and a cell phone might suffice.

Another mod for some extra leg room is to move the steering column UP a bit and use a smaller aftermarket wheel. An adapter and/or a deep dish wheel can be used to move the wheel back and closer now that you are sitting further away. Your head will still need to fit UNDER the Targa Bar with all the seat options though... after moving the seats back as far as possible. As for the pedals... I'm afraid they are where they are with very little room for any reasonably easy modification.

If ya do all this and ya still LOVE the X1/9... you get my vote for the MOST DEVOTED FAN of the YEAR award!

Good luck!

My empirical data

Is there anyone on this forum who's 6ft 5"??
Do you fit in an X1/9???

I can *just* fit in the spitfire, (you practically lie in them) but am concerned there's just not enough leg-space...

Right out of college, I had a roommate who was 6'5" and owned a spitfire.
He couldn't drive my '78 X at all - too tight.

I'm 6'1" or so and I fit "fine". I think my height is spread out pretty evenly but I just brush my head on the targa bar if I don't sit down in the seat (not slouching but not sitting up and all the way back). I find that I have the most room if I slouch a bit, bend the knees, and put the left foot on the wheel well when not clutching as I can't keep from resting on the clutch pedal otherwise. I could also stand to wear thinner shoes:). I myself have bent down the seat tab thing on the floor that gives you an extra inch or so, and it helps a little. I think how you will fare in fitting in an X will be based mostly on how nimble you are. The suggestions others have suggested seem good. Taking the seats off the rails seems like a good bet. My closest spot is definitely the steering wheel, and I'll likely be getting a smaller one myself. Good luck to you, and I hope you fit without too much modification.

Back