JimD

Waiting for Godot...
I have a Midwest-Bayless performance fuel injected head I plan to install on a 1500 block in my 78 soon. I wanted to plug the head's intake manifold coolant holes since they are not used for the FI manifold, but the holes had no threads. (By plugging the holes you can remove the intake/exhaust without the coolant draining out of the head)

I mentioned I had never done this before and Bernice was kind enough to send me a M8 tap, a tap guide and some stainless set screws.
tap_hole_1.jpg

I gathered up the proper allen wrench for the set screws, some air tool oil for the tap, a tap handle and a can of air.
tap_hole_4.jpg

When Midwest-Bayless sent me the head they had all the holes masked off to keep them from accumulating dirt, etc. I trimmed out the area around the two coolant holes and left everything else covered to keep the cuttings from falling in the other holes.
tap_hole_2.jpg

Next I put some oil on the business end of the tap and then set up the tap in a T-handle and used the guide to make sure I was square to the hole to be tapped.
tap_hole_5.jpg

I gently twisted the wrench and could feel the tap cutting into the aluminum. As I worked on the threads, I turned the tap about 3/4 turn in and then 1/4 turn back out. This back and forth motion is supposed to allow the cuttings to fall out via the flutes on the tap. I will have to assume it worked since I never had a situation where I felt the tap bind up.

Patience is the key. Take your time and remove the tap often to check the depth. Each time I removed the tap to do a depth check I cleaned the tap and the new threads of any chips. Here you can see the threads aren't quite deep enough yet.
tap_hole_6.jpg

It will take a few iterations of twisting and then removing the tap to get the depth correct. When putting the tap back in the new threads I twisted it with my fingers till it stopped at the uncut metal. I did not want to force it for fear of messing up the new threads.

You want to end up with the set screw seated just below the mating surface of the head as you can see if these two pictures.
tap_hole_8.jpg

tap_hole_7.jpg

As a final step I cleaned up the outer edge of the hole with a file. Each hole felt like it had a very small burr on one side and a gentle rub with the file removed it and left the surface smooth.
tap_hole_13.jpg

tap_hole_10.jpg

Repeat the procedure on the second hole and you are done. I was much more comfortable working on that second hole, I was pretty nervous on the first one. :)

I still need to get some Loctite to seal the threads, but the hard part is finished. Here you can see the final result. Two holes successfully plugged.
tap_hole_9.jpg

Many thanks to Bernice for the loan of her tools, the set screws and of course her infinite patience in answering my newbie questions!! :)

Attachments

• tap_hole_4.jpg
    tap_hole_4.jpg
    384.5 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
Nice work!

Using a tap and/or die is a good skill to gain. I've tapped and plugged the 2l aux shaft oil gallery after removing vestigial fuel pump lobe. I used some sort of locktite and slightly peened over the edge of the tapped hole to prevent the plug working out.

Back before algore invented the intertubeZ I did that to my '76, just to keep heat out of the intake.

Very nice work, Jim. Excellent documentation as well.

BTW, I would submit that Teflon paste is the appropriate sealer in this application.

Cheers,

Loctite 592

Thanks Mike,

Bernice told me to use Loctite #592 Teflon sealant, so I will use that as soon as I find some. :)

Thanks Gregory

It was definitely a learning experience. Also definitely a little tense, but it turned out great and it always feels good to accomplish something new. :)

I kept telling myself that the holes are normally left as is and the manifold gasket blocks them off. No matter how bad I screwed up that was the worst case scenario. Thankfully, everything went well.

Nicely done Jim...

Add thread sealant and it is all good to go.

:thumbsup:
Bernice

It was definitely a learning experience. Also definitely a little tense, but it turned out great and it always feels good to accomplish something new. :)

I kept telling myself that the holes are normally left as is and the manifold gasket blocks them off. No matter how bad I screwed up that was the worst case scenario. Thankfully, everything went well.

Great write up Jim. I just wish you'd done it a week ago, so I could have done this on mine. I think this is a very simple and helpful mod that now thanks to you the masses can tackle without fear. Great stuff.

I was much more comfortable working on that second hole, I was pretty nervous on the first one.
Its okay Jim I think we've all been there :rolleyes2:

Good job!

Saves a ton of time and makes things a lot cleaner by tapping and filling those 2 darn holes for the next time you ned to remove the intake mani.

Very nice work, and great photo documentation! I had to use a similar process to plug 8 oil delivery ports in the front ends of my new cams (Volvo- intended for dual variable valve timing hubs not used in my model year)

IMG_8284.jpg

The tap tip is tapered :)

There is definitely a taper at the first few "threads" of the tap, but Bernice would need to tell us exactly what I used. I can't see anything on the case that says "tapered"

Bernice told me to be sure to use a Teflon sealant like Loctite #592. So I am sure that sealant is what adds to the tight seal.

i looke closer at your picture of the tap

the tap doesn't appear to be a tapered tap, the front is always tapered on taps to start the threading process. I guess by not running the tap fully through that's what it seats on :)

Definitely a hard stop

The screws definitely hit a hard stop when screwing them in. Hopefully EWBF (Everything Will Be Fine), given the combination of that contact and the Loctite added to the threads.

That is a M8 x 1.25 straight bottoming tap. This puts a shoulder at the bottom of the threaded hole for the set screw to sit on and help seal the hole along with the TFE thread sealant.

If you need, have Jim send you the kit, there should be another two set screws in that package. If there are no more set screw, I'll get two more out to you.

Bernice

the tap doesn't appear to be a tapered tap, the front is always tapered on taps to start the threading process. I guess by not running the tap fully through that's what it seats on :)

That is a M8 x 1.25 straight bottoming tap. This puts a shoulder at the bottom of the threaded hole for the set screw to sit on and help seal the hole along with the TFE thread sealant.

If you need, have Jim send you the kit, there should be another two set screws in that package. If there are no more set screw, I'll get two more out to you.

Bernice

Thanks but I'm good, got all those parts in-hand :)

Highly reccomend the 8mx1.25 - too course a thread and you may never have a good seal even with the thread lock stuff.

Back