Ten Questions

*6~ There are towing lugs near the bumper mounts, these can be used to "tie down" the car on a trailer. Imobilize the wheels while they are in the trailer. Better yet, get a set of trailer wheels to prevent your "nice" wheels from being damaged while the car is being trailered. This is typical practice for trailer-ing race cars.. Keep the suspension loaded while the car is on a trailer, this prevents damage to the car and trailer.

*7~ Pinnacle of racing x1/9s... FIAT made sure the x never got raced, while FIAT had Abarth build a few rally cars, FIAT never supported any racing efforts or development of the X1/9 as it was more of a Bertone design than FIAT's. Yes, FIAT helped in the development process, but it's really a Bertone product from day one.

What is most un-appreciated is the potential of the X1/9 chassis as noted by the Danish Touring Races, Momi's x1/9, Steve Hoelsche's Solo II car, Bob Boig, De Fulvio Racing, Dallara, Radbourne in the UK to the Land speed record car by Johnny Hot-Nut's Hayabusia powered X1/9 and many, many others non-factory efforts with the X1/9.

The x1/9 has been alternatively powered by everything from numerious motorcycle engines, to Mazda rotarys and even a Detroit V8 & V6...

The x has also been a good LeMons racer..
lemons2009trophies.jpg

Here is a video clip from our most recent LeMons race at Sears Point.
This Porsche 928 chased the X for 5 laps trying to pass The 928 finally succeeded when the X got caught up behind a slower car ahead with no place to go. Keep in mind these are bare body shell race cars. There was a time when LeMons racing was more demo-derby than serious racing, that is pretty much in the past and LeMons has become serious racing in many ways without the usual market driven politics.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY3GrqRey-k"]YouTube- Sears Pointless Italian Stallions!!! part 1 of 2[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQx2LsRpmGc&feature=related"]YouTube- Sears Pointless Italian Stallions part 2 of 2[/ame]

Yes, the X/19 makes a pretty good race car considering the chassis was designed in the mid-late 1960's..

*8~ Which Lancia Zagato? There is a lot of history between these two companies. Zagato was a coach builder, designer. Lancia is a car company. They have done many cars together in the past, some of the more notable were the Zagato Fulvia, Lancia Hyena and .... If you're referring to the Lancia Beta Zagato.. I wrote about it previously.

Bernice

6.) What are good front tie down points when trailering? (Thru the wheels is not possible - mine have a narrow mesh pattern.)

7.) What was the pinnacle of the X19's racing history? :king:

8.) How close of a cousin is a Lancia Zagato on the family tree? :italia:

posted by an enthusiest

This is a posting by an X19 enthusiest.
If you want to make positive or negative comments about this post please go ahead. if you want to make comments about why I should not be posting to this forum please send me a private message. I have thick skin & will read it, but probably will not respond.

1.)

7.) What was the pinnacle of the X19's racing history? :king:

When it comes to Autocrossing, and April 18, 2010, I will blow my own horn (damn, the race car doesn't have a horn!)
Besides setting top time of the day, I beat one of the national SCCA street mod top drivers. My car had a miss that didn't clear until over 5,500 RPM

Results are here http://www.norcalufo.org/main/attachments/115_Results_NorCal_UFO_AutoX_Series_Event5_Apr18-2010.pdf
Here is a shot of me on the course http://www.steve510.com/coppermine/displayimage.php?album=201&pos=538
and here is the second overall car http://www.steve510.com/coppermine/displayimage.php?album=201&pos=497

The miss is fixed, and tommorrow I will try to make history again. If you want to come out to Marina California airport and watch, cheer, or try to distract me, I am in the first run group at 9 am.

If you are autocrossing or racing an X go out & win so you can also make X19 race history!

towing.

If you are flatbed towing, forwards, but if you are broken on the side of the road, and a tow truck comes and he is not a flatbed, tow backwards. Steve may want to chime in because he is the tranny expert, but my first X that I owned, before I found Seattle X1/9 (which turned into Xweb), I had to have my 77 towed and the tow truck showed up and hooked up to tow the x. When he hooked it up backwards, I asked him why, and he said it was because they had issues in the past towing fiats with the rear wheels on the road and to avoid damage, they are required to tow them this way or use a flatbed. This was in Seattle only a few years after Bertone stopped selling them in North America, so they were still relatively familier with them. Ever since, I usually ask for a flatbed when I need a tow.

Tie down points

-that depends on what year.

I don't know exactly what year it changed, but it was probably 1979 when the tow hooks (loops) were added. These are extensions of the bumper mounts -the sockets where the bumper shocks slide in. They're the closest thing to tying directly to the "frame" as you can get on a car that doesn't have a frame.

If you have an earlier car, you won't have these.

It would be tempting to just wrap a strap around the bumper shock mounts, but those pistons can pull out, given enough persuasion.

I would think you would probably be pretty safe tying to the radius rod mounts; as long as you're wrappping a nylon strap or rope here, and pulling forward. I have the tow loops at the bumper mounts, so I've only ever had to use the radius rods for safety chains -others here can comment on how viable this is as a primary tie point.

If you're going to be towing frequently and you don't have the loops on the bumper mounts, my suggestion would be to weld a nice hefty loop on to the radius rod mounts -pretty easy since those can be unbolted from the car... but there are probably others here with better suggestions.

Back