THE EASIEST way I've ever seen to fill & bleed brake or clutch fluid system!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

User1

RETIRED Admin, pm OFF
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2><TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-TOP: 4px" vAlign=top colSpan=2>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]THE EASIEST way I've ever seen to fill & bleed brake or clutch fluid system!!<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]June 6 2001 at 7:57 PM[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "m";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "x";n54_em = n54_em + "1";n54_em = n54_em + "9";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + "g"; document.write("Mac"); // --> </SCRIPT>Mac <NOSCRIPT> Mac </NOSCRIPT> [/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=bottom colSpan=3><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->I am so damn excited!!
happy.gif

I AM SO HAPPY!!!
happy.gif
happy.gif

I have our dear friend ULIX to thank for it!!!
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

For quite a while, I have been needing to replace the clutch slave cylinder hose on my '80 X. The old one was still doing its job but the outer layer was completely split from age, exposing the braided hose inside, and I knew it would only be a matter of time before it would blow - no doubt at the worst possible moment!

So I have been DREADING this task for weeks, because the LAST time I had to fix a clutch system in an X1/9 (it was before I learned that if the master cylinder piston is bottomed out you're basically screwed) it took hours of sweating, wrenching, cussing, bathing in brake fluid and interminable pedal-pumping WITH the aid of a vacuum bleed device to eventually get the pedal back. HOURS! To put it another way, IT REALLY REALLY SUCKED! no pun
tongue.gif

I swore when it was finally fixed that I would NEVER EVER do it again. Well, I never have, have never needed to, until today. Knowing the '80 X needed this hose job done meant to me that I would finally have to face that dreaded task once more. So I gulped, wiped my brow and headed out to the garage...

This time, though, I tried something quite different, something I heard Ulix talking about once right here in the forum, and today I did the job all by myself and it took less than 30 minutes total, start to finish, including extra time spent playing around with the new slave cylinder I also decided to install (ironically, the hardest thing turned out to be breaking the rounded-off metal line fitting loose from the one hose end, which was handled swiftly with WD-40, a huge pair of vise-grips and a small map-gas torch!)

This damn bleeding task was a BREEZE! It was a PIECE OF CAKE!! Here's the secret...

That day in the forum, I noticed Ulix mention that he had created a "tool" by installing a tire valve stem in a spare fluid reservoir cap (!!) and that he used a bicycle tire pump to pressurize the reservoir, thereby forcing the fluid through the system, and forcing bottomed-out pistons back into service instantly!

It seems so damn simple, and ... it is! Let me tell you, it WORKS very very well. I was absolutely blown away when I got the pedal back that fast and with so very little effort
happy.gif
Here's how to do it:

First, it would be a bad idea to use the finished "tool" as a reservoir cap anymore, so don't wreck the cap you will use every day on the car - get a spare cap. Drill a hole in the center so you can pry the plastic center piece out from inside the cap. Discard the center piece but save the o-ring seal that also comes out.

Drill out the hole in the cap just barely big enough to stuff a tire valve stem (including valve) through from the bottom, then (guess?) stuff the valve stem through it
tongue.gif
(I used RTV sealant to seal the stem into the cap but if the hole you drilled is just the right size this may not be necessary). Put the o-ring seal back into the modified cap and BINGO - your "tool" is done!

Now all you will need is brake fluid, a bike tire pump, an 8mm crescent wrench for the bleed valve and (if you are fussy about not shooting brake fluid everywhere) a length of clear tube to run from the bleed valve into a container that can be filled with expelled fluid. Oddly enough, an almost-empty brake fluid bottle worked well for that, and for line I discovered that aquarium air tube works perfectly (the pet store was closer than the auto parts store)
tongue.gif

So you add fluid to the reservoir, put your modified cap on it, attach the tire pump, and give it just one or two mild but full pumps. You may hear some air escaping, don't worry, as long as you feel resistance to your movement it is working! After you have done this, leave the pump attached and go to the bleed valve.

Crack it open and watch in leisurely bliss as the air and fluid parade past, down the tube and into the container
happy.gif
Sip a lemonade and turn on your favorite music...

Before too long, close the valve. Go uncap the reservoir and check the fluid level! This is the only tricky bit, because (naturally) you do not want to push ALL the fluid down or else you will just be pumping more air into the system, which is bad!!

And so it goes, repeat a couple few times, close the bleed valve and remove your "tool" from the reservoir. Check the level and then go pump the pedal a few times just to make sure the master cylinder piston is not (or not still) bottomed out and you have some form of pressure behind the pedal.

If the pedal's not back, just repeat the simple process outlined above. If the bleed valve is closed and you are applying mild pressure to the reservoir fluid with the tire pump, the piston in the master cylinder will right itself
happy.gif

Once you have the pedal back and all the air out of the lines, just shut the bleed valve, top off the reservoir, put the UNmodified cap back on and clean up the shop
happy.gif

I am walkin on a cloud! Thanks Ulix
happy.gif
-Mac.

<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Author[/FONT]</TD><TD>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Reply[/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]lezesig[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->You need a prescription....<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]June 6 2001, 10:09 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->....jar ! : )

Because it also happens to be the the correct diameter and provides enough of a thread to fit snugly.

Fashion a gasket on the I.D. and your running.

lezesig '79 X 1/9<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "j";n54_em = n54_em + "u";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "-";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "d";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "m";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "u";n54_em = n54_em + "k"; document.write("Julian"); // --> </SCRIPT>Julian <NOSCRIPT> Julian </NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Poor, poor Mac<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]June 7 2001, 2:13 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->We've been buying these kits off the shelf for years. The whole thing is rigged to run off the air pressure in the spare tyre and even includes a back-up reservoir of about 1/2 pint capacity so that you don't end up blowing air INTO the system!

If I'd known that such things weren't available in the States I would have packed one into the "package" I sent a couple of months back.

Julian
=======================================
Visit the lair: [URL="http://www.the-lair.demon.co.uk/"]http://www.the-lair.demon.co.uk [/URL]<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Jp Smith[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->OK Julian<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]June 7 2001, 5:15 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->This is one of the very things that James Krass wants to do with his new web site. Find a source for this type of tool and make it available to everyone, including North Americans. Why don't you post James and let him know how to get this system. JP<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Tim[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 45px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Or try this...<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]June 7 2001, 6:30 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 45px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->See the hydraulics bit on:
www.xone9.homestead.com
instead of blowing the fluid through, you suck it through, works just as well and is almost free!

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "d";n54_em = n54_em + "b";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "m";n54_em = n54_em + "1";n54_em = n54_em + "1";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "m";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "m"; document.write("Doug Beam"); // --> </SCRIPT>Doug Beam <NOSCRIPT> Doug Beam </NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 60px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->A little Improvement?<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]June 7 2001, 7:52 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 60px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->I have the spare resevoir cap, but haven't tried the Ulix method yet. For some reason when I replaced my clutch master, it was a piece of cake to bleed. Go figure. But, if you were to use the valve stem from an old inner tube, cut to the I.D. of the lid, would it not make its own seal? Then the size of the hole in the lid wouldn't be too critical.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "m";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "x";n54_em = n54_em + "1";n54_em = n54_em + "9";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + "g"; document.write("Mac"); // --> </SCRIPT>Mac <NOSCRIPT> Mac </NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 75px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->re: Improvement?<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]June 7 2001, 8:09 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 75px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Yours was probably easy because your MC piston was not stuffed to the bottom when you started. That's really the thing that can make it such a pain.

The inner-tube method could work, if the tube rubber was thick enough or the stock cap seal was also used, otherwise you may end up with stem-flop which would make attaching the bike pump a little squirrelly
tongue.gif
-Mac.

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "m";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "x";n54_em = n54_em + "1";n54_em = n54_em + "9";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + "g"; document.write("Mac"); // --> </SCRIPT>Mac <NOSCRIPT> Mac </NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 60px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->suction vs pressure - just my opinions and the brake fluid bong<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]June 7 2001, 8:27 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 60px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Although that page is very well written, I have now tried it both ways (I was lucky enough to have a friend with a hand-crank syphon help bail me out last time) and I can still add that there is one important difference between vacuuming for fluid at the bleed valve as opposed to pushing it in from the reservoir.

The difference? If the master piston is completely bottomed out when you begin, you can still get stuck pumping your leg off on the pedal while applying the vacuum before the piston may work itself far enough out to catch fluid and start functioning...

If using pressure, however, it makes no difference at all where the master piston is - even if it is completely stuffed, the minute you apply the pressure, `pop' it shoots right back to the fully functional position
happy.gif

Of course, there is a possibility when applying pressure to the system that you may pop a seal somewhere if you apply TOO much. That's why to use a bicycle pump and deliberately let some air escape during the process.

The stock cap o-ring is not a perfect seal, nor is the one from the cheapo hose end to tire valve. As an aside, I guess I forgot to point out that the reason I chose to add RTV to the modified cap was more to solidly mount the stem to the cap than to actually seal it. Excess pressure just hisses out the top of the system at the o-ring anyway. Escape is still slow enough, though, for the pressure to do its job on the reservoir fluid
happy.gif

I am sure that this entire revelation I have gone through is probably all quite mundane already to many of you. You'll have to forgive me, I have just learned something wonderful and am glad to be able to share it with those in the forum who may not know yet either
happy.gif
After all, if I had not heard it here, I could still be out there pumping the pedal!

PS to Tim: There are folks out there who could easily mistake that suction device of yours for `ahem' something else... So where did you dream up this device, anyway? ...
tongue.gif
-Mac.

bottle.jpg

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Tim[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 75px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Mad Tim's inventions<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]June 8 2001, 5:18 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 75px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Mac: I got that idea because I tried the pressure technique and blew the reservoir apart trying to get the fluid flowing!
I really cant see what else the device could be used for
happy.gif
:)
happy.gif

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "p";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "b";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "t"; document.write("Tony Natoli"); // --> </SCRIPT>Tony Natoli <NOSCRIPT> Tony Natoli </NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Obviously, you haven't tried 150# from your compressor yet...<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]June 7 2001, 10:43 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->HA!

Thanks for the details Mac... great idea and simple and CHEAP... I like it

I too had a hell of a time bleed ing that hose... I found that loosening the fitting and bleeding it first, the bleeding at the bleeder valve finally cleared it... But that took more than 30 minutes to figure that out!

Best Regards,

Tony Natoli
1979 X1/9 with 148K and still steamin'
Santa Clarita, CA

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "b";n54_em = n54_em + "u";n54_em = n54_em + "d";n54_em = n54_em + "g";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "z";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "g";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "y";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "m"; document.write("Gregory Smith"); // --> </SCRIPT>Gregory Smith <NOSCRIPT> Gregory Smith </NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Ray's version<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]June 7 2001, 11:22 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Revealed to the FEN gang last night was to pressurize a jar of fluid and with a tube running out of it to the bleeder screw, bleeding the system in reverse.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "d";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "m";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "f";n54_em = n54_em + "g";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "y";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "m"; document.write("Damon G"); // --> </SCRIPT>Damon G <NOSCRIPT> Damon G </NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Late but I still missed the boat<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]June 19 2001, 11:00 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->

A few of the posters seemed to stress one point-
that the pressure at the reservoir will remedy
a stuck piston in the master cylinder.

So what can cause the piston to bottom out ?
And I'm guessing from that point it will just play
dead ?

Was bleeding the brakes on the X, with good
results (check valve bleed screws) and bled
the master dry, NEVER able to get it to take
fluid again....

TIA,
-d

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back