The Key to Keys.....

Bobr

My Toy
Didn't have door keys for the Barn Find.... Been calling locksmiths for a while and all they had were "Mobile Technicians" Dispatched by phone or whatever and no clue on how to make a key using the lock. I called a Major security company that I use to visit for work and I know the owner has a lot of classic cars. I talked to one of the guys and said call back the next day and ask the guy who might be able to do that job...He also said the owner takes his cars to Minneapolis Lock and Key. Well I went the latter..... Wow....We were out in the parking lot. The LOCKSMITH with key and file in hand. He had the key done in 20 min or so. It would be less time if we didn't Talk so much. I cost me $47 for 2 keys (I brought my own blanks, but they had blanks for Fiats in stock.......) They work on both doors and the rear trunk locks. Well that's my key story and I WAS.......GRINNING EAR-TO-EAR both ways. Plus....drove my son to school this morning:):):):):)
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I just took a couple blanks I had (1 ignition & 1 door/trunk etc) to my local hardware store and had them cut. Only cost me $1 per key and they work better then my original.

no, all I had was the code written on the owner's manual by the dealer, keys4classics cut it based on that and it works fine

When I was having some extra keys made for my 85

I was given a really nice piece of info. If you have an ORIGINAL key for the car with rubber on the "handle", you can peel that rubber back and there will be a code stamped on the key. If you ever loose your key, a good locksmith can regrind your lost key from the code. So, write this code down somewhere, like on the title, so you don't loose it. A simple key grind is a lot cheaper than the labor costs involved in figuring it out.

My 79 has never had keys for the doors either. I'll be tackling this job too in the near future.

Back