The President's "Jobs Speech"

The plan is filled with things that poll well in hopes that the GOP will block it and then he can blame them for preventing the creation of jobs. This has nothing to do with fixing the economy. I think the GOP should just pass exactly what he asks for except with a clause that has the bill sunset when a new president is sworn in. That would totally call his bluff but he couldn't dare veto it.

Yeah, that's a fair description....

As plans go to 'fix' the economy or 'create' jobs it stinks at about the same level as any other intervention. The half of the thing being a tax break makes no sense at all -with so much debt to absorb every dime that people have to spare, that won't do anything but drive interest rates down even more and increase the deficit. Infrastructure spending? Who knows? This is where you get into religion-Keynesian that is. I am an assymetrical Keynesian in these times, meaning I certainly accept that wholesale deep cuts in the federal and state budgets are going to worsen the immediate situation by withdrawing spending power in the economy at large (this is simply and uncontroversially a matter of record over the past 12 months) on the other side though, the idea that such piddling amounts spent as proposed are gonna light some kind of self sustaining fire in the economy is, well, debatable. This problem has moved to the very center of capitalist reality and it isn't going to be resolved by cosmetic surgery. He could have stolen a march on the Republicans by simply proposing what Huntsman and Romney and the others are quacking about-those things won't do any good either in the short term but it would shut the GOP up for a bit. In the longer haul they are going to get done anyway.

did anyone notice

who was sitting next michelle obama , jeffery imelt the man whose head of GE and paid no taxes and is shipping thousands of jobs to china ie the x ray division and the jet engine division . as for warren buffet he pays capital gains tax not income tax so our president is comparing apples to oranges . but havent we heard this speech before new roads and more trains

Yeah, generally speaking the political....

class is dying for permission from some Bloomsbury egghead before doing what they want.

Whalen needs to follow up his reasonably cogent arguments against small ball Keynesian policies with something better than one more vague appeal to the RNC talking points. The underconsumption is not being caused by some vaporous 'lack of confidence' or some 'uncertainty'-it is being caused by overeveraged households and no immediate prospects for highly profitable investment. This is what a post financial crisis recession looks like and there is no evidence that any policy will do much more than shove the problem from one part of the economy to another, and then only temporarily. He is making the serious error of believing his opponent's being mostly wrong makes him mostly right; forgetting that there are infintie ways to be wrong and his might be one of them. His charged language at the outset doesn't make him look any more credible either. But i know name calling and mock honorific titles is one of the favored ticks of the reactionary pundit these days.

Good point...

that's why I listen to Bill Gross and Buffet. I suspect between those two alone they control enough capital to buy whatever state Whalen lives in. And unless you have been President of the USA maybe we should stop considering anything you have to say about Obama-talk about armchair QB.

I suppose if the issue were running hotels to get us out of the current mess, Whalen would be our man.:hmm:

You don't have to wait...

none of it matters anyway. It's all just desperation. Nobody knows what to do because there is nothing that can be done in the short run. We're skidding on ice and which way the steering wheel is turned don't make much difference until speed and adhesion catch up to one another. We aren't there yet; the banks are still sick; the leverage everywhere in the west is too high; do this-do that-do something else,hey, it will all be about the same next year and the year after that and then we will all be used to 9% unemployment and kids living at home until they are 30. And the GOP has no clue either;they aren't hiding some secret weapon ready to use on old Mr, Recession the minute one of those look alike RINOs get in the WH.

Back