The rally season has started in Australia.

rjplenter

True Classic
Hi folks,

Despite the weird gearbox issue while putting the car on the trailer to go home, we had a great day last Saturday at the Boisdale Rallysprint. The courses were short but a mix of wide gravel roads and narrow twisty and slippery tracks. Here are some photos and videos of our day.

fiat boisdale 14.jpg

fiat boisdale 12.jpg

fiat boisdale 11.jpg

fiat boisdale 10.jpg

fiat boisdale 09.jpg

fiat boisdale 08.jpg

fiat boisdale 07.jpg

fiat boisdale 06.jpg

fiat boisdale 05.jpg

fiat boisdale 04.jpg

fiat boisdale 03.jpg

fiat boisdale 02.jpg

Videos of recce with my regular co-driver Paul, one our timed runs, and a timed run with guest co-driver Danny.

Cheers,

Rob

Attachments

• fiat boisdale 13.jpg
    fiat boisdale 13.jpg
    338.2 KB · Views: 35
  • fiat boisdale 01.jpg
    fiat boisdale 01.jpg
    431.9 KB · Views: 28
Excellent to see this specific exxe on the road Rob,

Thanks for sharing 😊🥳
Bernice
This car has provided a lot of fun over the years, with thanks to your help.

I forgot to mention, we came 19th O/R out of 30 with one of the smallest engines in the field.
In general the handling is good except for understeer on the tighter corners.

You need to make more use of the "rear wheel steering device"* located between the seats in those situations....

SteveC

*commonly known as the hand-brake
With weight over the rear wheels (as opposed the front engine/rear wheel drive), the handbrake doesn't work very well, despite being hydraulic. I've thought about installing the bigger pistoned rear calipers like I had on the blue rally X, but they're rare these days.

Hi folks,

Despite the weird gearbox issue while putting the car on the trailer to go home, we had a great day last Saturday at the Boisdale Rallysprint. The courses were short but a mix of wide gravel roads and narrow twisty and slippery tracks. Here are some photos and videos of our day.

View attachment 80952

View attachment 80953

View attachment 80954

View attachment 80955

View attachment 80956

View attachment 80957

View attachment 80958

View attachment 80959

View attachment 80960

View attachment 80961

View attachment 80962

View attachment 80963

Videos of recce with my regular co-driver Paul, one our timed runs, and a timed run with guest co-driver Danny.

Cheers,

Rob
Thanks for sharing Rob.

With weight over the rear wheels (as opposed the front engine/rear wheel drive), the handbrake doesn't work very well, despite being hydraulic. I've thought about installing the bigger pistoned rear calipers like I had on the blue rally X, but they're rare these days.
Leave the existing brake calipers alone, re-hook up the standard mechanical handbrake for parking the car so it wont roll away...

take the hydraulic handbrake out of the rear brake circuit, it's likely limiting the rear line pressure and affecting your brake bias.

Plumb the hydraulic rear handbrake master cylinder independently - it's own stand alone circuit - look at the current crop of WRC cars, they have the hydraulic rear steering/turning device on a LONG lever you push forwards close to the steering wheel...it's a really long lever so the "pedal" force needed is low to get a resulting high line pressure, it's close to the steering wheel so your hand is away from the wheel for the least time

Fit some small auxiliary calipers (something small from a motorbike will work) which are solely for handbrake... then you'll get the car turned easy on those tight hairpins.

SteveC

Last edited:
Back