thoughts on engine swap

lappy

Daily Driver
Hey guys, been thinking of upgrading the engine in my x, '81 1500 5 speed, carby. A few people here in OZ are doing the Toyota 4AGE swap, but that requires a fair bit of body modification. I was thinking of the 1600 Brava twin cam, with a little work and tweeking should be able to achieve 130-140 HP and still be a good everyday driver. Will also fit straight in without too much drama.................Any thoughts?
Lappy:hrmph:

Lappy, Ross and myself (Fiatorque granville) have done this conversion. the brava motor is a (more or less) straight bolt in, next to no bodywork mods required, however the motor isn't.
Also we have a shipment of motors arriving in the near future if you require one.

A 67.4mm stroke crank (uno 1372 etc) a set of SCAT rods (off the shelf)and a set of 34.17CH pistons (standard Fiat part) and you can take your 1500 out to 1600... and have a static CR well into the 10's with a stock australian spec head and 1.5mm thick felpro gasket... other performance parts (like larger valves, cam, carbs /intake and exhaust) are also off the shelf items which come at a reasonable price.

http://www.turbo124.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7402

Doing a Brava 1600 16v swap will require EFI and computer to run it, and everything (cams and exhaust for start) will be custom made items.

Technically the engine (this is for Australian ADR'S) as it is post 1986 will require ALL the emission control equipment (like a cat conv and small filler neck for start) to be fitted to the vehicle too... with engine swaps the year of engine manufacture determines the relative level of emission controls required, and the onus (and cost) is on the vehicle owner to prove that the engine complies...

Not an issue for Dave's X19 race car, but it will be an issue for a road registered car.

SteveC

Brava

Hey lappy pm me we are bring some engines in in the next fortnight. We aren't making a profit on them ill put you in direct contact with that supplier in NZ. We are charging $500aud for the shipping you pay duty etc on your item, and the pick up location will be dandenong. If you happy with that then let me know you will have to talk to the guy in NZ in the next two days. The engines are $1500 aud plus $500 shipping and $150 duty allow another $100-200 for a contingency 2150-2350 and you have a brava engine in the country. It's definitely the cheapest way at the moment to get one.

Shipping an engine on its own costs approx $1250aud from Nz -Melb, just for reference.

Cheers
Lachlan

uno

It is unlikely unfortunately we are importing two for ourselves he hasn't been able to find me a third yet. I will ask again i was asking for three at one stage but i stopped asking after a while. I just sent him an email ill see what his response is.

Cheers

Back