Time for a new Head Job

jlpatton

Daily Driver
:dance:Driving home for a quick bite for lunch notice a lot of white smoke out the tail pipe quick look at the dip stick and sure enough show way over full and quite thin :( during the compression test which just confirmed my feelings that I will be doing a head gasket replacement on short order. Just wondering what else I might get into in replacing while I have it striped down. I know that the tyranny needs some attention if I want Reverse, maybe a new cluch and lighten the flywheel, ect. ect. :guns: I quess that I just take one step at a time.

if it were me i would do some mild head work while its off and install a mild cam. you will enjoy it much more.

That was one of the first thing

that I planned but need to see what else I might have to do also

what I have now

79 Carb with the 28/30 carb still on but all the Smog removed, 5 speed with some what of a reverse hold it back and ease out the cluch until it starts to grind or just throw it in netural and push it back out. :mallet:

i dont know what its worth to you, but i have a 5 speed that worked without any issues at all when i took it out of an 87, i dont know what it costs to rebuild one.

Mr. Patton...

If money is tight... then have the valves and seats refreshed and install a new gasket, I'd do a t-stat also... drain the oil and refresh both it and your coolant.

You'll also need to "adjust" the valves via adding the correct size shims... and that'll take some math or borrowing a KIT.

As for your trans... I would take up Mr. Spiderrey on his offer at $200 + shipping, which COULD be a little as 50 bucks, but probably around 100. I have no interest in this... but you can take Rey for his word and that is a damn good price.

THEN... keep the other for a core or send it to be rebuilt by Hoelscher through Mad Matt. Their prices are REASONABLE but much more than 200 bucks. Here's a kicker also... the later model transmissions were beefer in reverse and a few other areas even over a rebuilt 79 5-speed.

That's my 10 cents worth... HIH...

Here another thought on the this matter

:hmm: Can I remove the Studs and replace them with bolts instead the studs in their now? They have allot of corrosion on them and thin in some areas along the length of it :( taking the head down to the shop tomorrow to see if its warped and have some new valve guides and seats put in and maybe take some off the Top.

Bwahahaha!

Glad to see I'm not the only one.

We may have to start our own forum when we get tossed out of here. ;-)

///Mike

Back