"toc toc" noise in the steering rack

Hi all,

today in the morning I drove my X1/9 an I heard a noise like "toc" "toc" when I move the steering wheel to pass on a couple bumps in my neighborhood, I drove carefully to try to identify what's wrong, and I thought some nut it was loose, I reviewed all the steering rack and I found where is the problem, but I don't know if is a easy fix or I need to replace all the part.
Is the steering rack, on the passenger side when turn the steering wheel (or wheel) noise come from inside the rubber boot and the arm moves, I can't see it but I can feel when I touch with the hand it moves and makes the "toc, toc" sound like something is loose.
Somebody knows if I need to replace all the steering wheel or just I need to remove the rubber boot and tight something inside.

Thanks on advance.

Could be the bushing

I am no expert on this, but I am rebuilding my rack right now. Based on my research on this topic on the Forum, it sounds like it could be the plastic bushing that is just inside the passenger side of the steering rack. They can wear out and break, which allows that side of the rack to move around, causing the noise. The rack needs to come out to change this.
http://www.midwest-bayless.com/stor...l.aspx?sid=1&sfid=208227&c=193059&i=250926236

It could also be the inner tie rod end that is worn out. When you check for movement, which way is the excess movement?

thanks!.

I am no expert on this, but I am rebuilding my rack right now. Based on my research on this topic on the Forum, it sounds like it could be the plastic bushing that is just inside the passenger side of the steering rack. They can wear out and break, which allows that side of the rack to move around, causing the noise. The rack needs to come out to change this.
http://www.midwest-bayless.com/stor...l.aspx?sid=1&sfid=208227&c=193059&i=250926236

It could also be the inner tie rod end that is worn out. When you check for movement, which way is the excess movement?

It folds a little bit down when you move the steering (wheel) to any side, also on the rubber cover it looks when the steering "line" folds.
Thanks for your information, can I fix without remove all the steering rack? just remove all parts from passenger side and then remove rubber cover and replace the old bushing?

regards.

that's kinda tight in there...

I had to take the rack out to just change that boot, I know there are big nuts under those boots, and they are staked on, don't know how you could get that off, without a special tool. our setup is a little different, but, you can see what a PIA this might be on our cars. maybe there's a secret to doing this, that someone else might know of
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MJOtr-vj6M

thanks Kevin

I had to take the rack out to just change that boot, I know there are big nuts under those boots, and they are staked on, don't know how you could get that off, without a special tool. our setup is a little different, but, you can see what a PIA this might be on our cars. maybe there's a secret to doing this, that someone else might know of
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MJOtr-vj6M

Very Illustrative, after to see that video I guess I'll save tons of.........TIME:dance:, ENERGY:snail:, MADNESS :mad4: AND A COUPLE OF INJURY ON FINGERS :tomato:, and might be the best way is to replace the complete part and leave to rebuild it to professionals.( with the right tools to do this job)...

Thanks again!.

Steering Rack Bushing replacement

Ricardo,

I recently had the same steering rack issue and traced it to a missing (disintegrated) plastic rack bushing. I was able to remove the rack without much problem, disassemble it, clean and lube it and replace the bushing. Make sure to mark your tie rod and steering wheel positions to ensure proper alignment on reinstall.

Compared to the other horrendously difficult jobs I've had to tackle lately (heater box rebuild, power window install, etc.) this one was a breeze.

Ed

Thanks!

Ricardo,

I recently had the same steering rack issue and traced it to a missing (disintegrated) plastic rack bushing. I was able to remove the rack without much problem, disassemble it, clean and lube it and replace the bushing. Make sure to mark your tie rod and steering wheel positions to ensure proper alignment on reinstall.

Compared to the other horrendously difficult jobs I've had to tackle lately (heater box rebuild, power window install, etc.) this one was a breeze.

Ed

I'll try, I'll order the new bushing and replace without remove the steering rack.

:worship:

Thanks.

"toc-toc..." not "tic-toc"? Well, I guess its not the clock then...

Sorry for your trouble Ricky... Ya know, you just MIGHT have a nice car there if you took better care of it...

(hehehe!)

if you remove the rack

I don't think replacing the tie rod would be that difficult...BUT, boots are gonna be soft, and might tear, and if one tie rod is going bad, you might wanna do the other side...bla bla bla, by the time you do all that, you might as well buy a rebuilt rack from one of our vendors, and have nice tight new steering...:)

Back