Today at Sebring

Steve Hoelscher

True Classic
My apologies for the lack of zoom on my cheap little camera.

SAM_0043.jpg

SAM_0044.jpg

SAM_0042.jpg

Thanks for the pics Steve

Good to hear from you every once in a while! ;)

We can forgive the camera only because we know what goes in your cars! Looks like Matt was doing a great job out there. Are you racing there, too, Steve? Or there just in an "advisory" position?

if you dont mind me asking what were Matts lap times we ran a time attack down there in august and would love to know how a well sorted X would do

Video!!!

I was there working. Just another day at the office :)

Friday qualifying had Matt in the 2:48s. I think the car has 2:45s in it but it was Matt's first day at Sebring and he was having an annoying problem that may have slowed him a little.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQvoKw98bCw"]YouTube - Sebring Sat Race 22[/ame]

Nice work Steve! Your video setups are really nice.

Friday qualifying had Matt in the 2:48s. I think the car has 2:45s in it but it was Matt's first day at Sebring and he was having an annoying problem that may have slowed him a little.
Yah - it's called an black Acura (or whatever the hay that thing is) check out the body roll!!

Nice footage Steve, good to see your still around. Matt: nice smooth run (well as smooth as Sebring can be) The car only tops around 104-105 mph or was that 10.4-10.5k rpm?

THAT is a joyful noise! I could listen to it all day:music:

Thanks for the pics and video, Steve!!!

John O.

Best trap speeds we had were 109 at about 8000 RPM

...and this is a result of the engine/trans combination that we chose, combined with the layout of the track.

This is a horsepower track, pure and simple. 5 sections of the track have straights or high-speed corner combinations that put you at 90+ MPH into a braking zone.

The platform was compromised because we were using a stock-ratio transaxle with a very long-duration camshaft whose powerband was only 2K wide from 7-9K.

There were many 3-4 upshifts on very long straights where the engine would fall off the cam. 8750 RPM in 3rd would become 6K when shifting into 4th and this just killed us in straight-line speed.

I don't want to say that we came to the event without our "A" game, but we knew that we had compromises in place (both motor and suspension) that would not put us in contention for a win or lap records.

I can't blame it all on the mechanicals, I am here to tell you that this is a very complex track with nuiances that would take hundreds of laps to really figure out.

Two starts, two finishes and trips to impound with the car relatively undamaged. I am happy for all of that.

-M

I figured something along those lines Matt. Ive talked to some other road racers that have driven that track and everyone says its a real ball buster of a course full of compromises and tough on cars. I subscribed to yours or maybe Steves youtube and watched your Sunday run, very nice. Where can we find a schedule of events you'll be attending?

Yep... I could hear that on the 3 - 4 shifts... BUT...

WE ARE ALL DAMN PROUD of you and your efforts!

Thanks for making other folks nervous when they see our little buggers comin' on to them in the turns!

HA!

Back