Transmission disassembly question

PaulD

Paul Davock
I am disassembling my 87 5 speed, and need some help.

I believe the transmission has been apart before as the stub shafts popped right out, there is a stripped 10mm bolt on the lower engine mount, and the bolts on the case extension have different types of plating.

I am following 5 speed 101, and am at the point of removing the case extension. Well, it might as well be welded on. All of the bolts and the nut are off of the back of it. When I pry it using the side taps, it starts to pull up the plate below it, yet does not budge. No gasket shows on the sides of it as is true with the rest of the transmission. I suspect that 1) I am missing something here or 2) for lack of a gasket someone used some scary tough gasket goo, or had some epoxy close at hand.

Any ideas on how to persuade this part without breaking any castings? I am loathe to get in there with a cold chisel, as it wrecks the mating faces of the castings.

Paul Davock

What about...

Is there any chance you missed the three case bolts inside the bell housing? They would slow you down.

The two M6 bolts and one M6 nuts have been removed?

Once the 5th gear cover has been removed, there is a M6 bolt that holds on the plate between the 5th gear cover and main case.

If the shifter detent balls have not been removed, there will be trouble trying to remove the main case.

Are out. What is stuck is the housing over 5th gear.

Paul

Bolts are out

The external M6 bolt and nut are removed from the case, the 5th gear cover is the one that is stuck.

I am thinking of tapping a knife edge between the 5th gear cover and the next plate on the case. There is potential for damage in doing this though.

The suggestions are helpful. I would like to find a way to get this off without wrecking the part(s).

Paul

Got it!

With careful work I got it. It had lock tite on the shuffle pins. More disassembly and inspecton is underway.

Paul

Back