Transmission oil question

meangreenspider

Daily Driver
I know most X owners recommend the Redline Trans oil. Unfortunately I changed out my clutch today and need to drive car within 2 days to get out of state vehicle inspection. Is there a brand and weight of trans oil that will suffice? I really need to buy locally also due to time constrants. My options are Pepboys, napa, autozone, and advance. thanks

I would guess 80/90 gear oil available anywhere but wait for confirmation. I put in Redline MTL a week ago or so, shifts a bit smoother. Hasn't leaked out yet.

You'd think so, but....

I would guess 80/90 gear oil available anywhere but wait for confirmation.

You'd think so, but.... no. Just about all the standard gear oils you'll find these days have EP additives, should not be used in Fiat transaxles. Nothing awful will happen if you use them for a day or so to drive to your inspection and then drain and replace with something else, but if you cannot find Redline or GL-1, you'd be better off with SteveH's recommendation.

Tractor Supply

On another forum (I think), someone posted that Tractor Supply has 90 weight mineral oil for old Ford tractors. From what I've been reading, mineral oil is the ticket/additives are the problem in the Fiat trannys.

I am getting ready to put the heart back in my car, so I would also be interested in responses from the long time Fiat drivers.

-- Mike

On another forum (I think), someone posted that Tractor Supply has 90 weight mineral oil for old Ford tractors. From what I've been reading, mineral oil is the ticket/additives are the problem in the Fiat trannys.

I am getting ready to put the heart back in my car, so I would also be interested in responses from the long time Fiat drivers.

-- Mike

I did a bit of research last night on the tractor oil. It is my understanding that the older tractors have the same issue as the Fiats regarding the additives in the modern oils. TSC carries gear oils with the GL-1 and GL-2 ratings. Does anyone have any thoughts or comments regarding running this type oil in Fiats?

Original specs.

Call for GL-1 NON EP oil.... Harleys use these specs apparently. I currently have "" Redline MT-90 "" (synthetic) after my recent trans./ rebuild. It works great and doesn't get thick up to freezing. I store it winters.

Gentleman

Stop wasting your time on research and listen to Steve Hoelscher he used to owne two Aamco transmission shops he's taken 100's of Fiat transmissions apart he's a 5 time national solo II champion in a x1/9 just this year got his 6th win in a first gen MR2 he knows more about transmissions then you or I will ever know He said If you need something cheap and quick, Castrol 20W50 motor oil works quite well.
Other than that he has said on this forum more than once for the beast trans oil go with Red Line.that it research done Im sure other stuff will work. I have used Mobil1 trans oil with ok results but if you want the beast Red line and on the cheap Castrol 20w50.

Just as an FYI, most NAPA stores carry or can get a gallon container of GL1.

But I would go with the RedLine.

If changing from whatever to R/L, I'd flush the trans with gas or kersosene and let it air dry a while before putting in the RedLine, if for no other reason than to try to get as much of the old oil (which is likely to be non-spec GL4 or 5 if it was ever changed by a P.O.) and gunk (not to mention metal particles) out of the trans as possible. But that's just me.

HAHAHA... As RacerX said...

... and I will add MY qualifications...

I've never raced professionally but do have some speeding tickets... I'm old and set in my ways and extremely FRUGAL. Owned and cared for Black Tooth going on 28 years and have taken in orphans also.

USE REDLINE MTL... period! Four quarts at about 10 bucks apiece. Expensive... but I'm Mr. Frugal... and it works! Save MT90 for the racetrack and sustained high speeds.

Remember... even though FIAT builds tractors... you have a TRANSAXLE in your car and NOT just a transmission or a differential. It also has "Porche-style" syncros that REQUIRE an ABRASIVE element so that they WORK to smoothly transition your moves from one gear to the next.

AFAIK... there is only ONE product out there that LUBES, COOLS, MAINTAINS VISCOSITY, and PROVIDES FRICTION so that these transaxles work as they should, and that is REDLINE.

Redline can be purchased online and shipped to your door usually for the same price you pay at specialty shops, sometimes even less, sometimes more... but its a resource! - www.myoilshop.com

I've also found it at well stocked NAPA stores and VW offroad shops and suppliers.

Hope this convinces ya to not bother experimenting and take advantage of all the experimenting that has already taken place. As Mr. Frugal... I did, saved a bunch, enjoyed my driving, and never regretted it!

Thanks all. I ordered Redline today and have used the 20w50 for the next few days. I won't be driving far so I think it will be ok. I think I could run used motor oil and it would be better than what I drained out before pulling the transmission. I think it may have been the original oil from 1977. I am absolutely certain it had not been changed since before 1985 when car was parked. Car drives and shifts well now. Linkage is still a little stiff at the shifter but will address that in the spring.

Hey, Tony old buddy...........!!

... I'm old and set in my ways and extremely FRUGAL.

.........I can just picture you now!
With yur little fold-down chair, sitting outside the entrance to Walmart, rattlin' yur little tin mug!! :sigh:

Yep, it's tuff fer us oldies, mate!!

cheers, Ian - NZ

Now I feel compelled to add MY qualifications. I may be the only one on this forum who has never driven a Fiat X-1/9. I've been building it for a month and a half, and have been poring over the info in these pages & asking a lot of off the wall questions.

I passed on some info from another forum concerning a source for mineral GL-1. It was not my intent to question anyone, simply try to add something to the knowledge base.

I will never even scratch the surface of the folks here, but I still hope to be able to contribute in my own small way. Sorry if it sounded like I was questioning or criticizing anyone.

Not to worry

Mike, not to worry, all is welcome here.

I will say that reading that post gave me a chuckle but I am sure it was intended in good fun for everybody.

While I consider this forum to be rather unique in the universe of car forums, it seems that the "oil" issue always triggers lots of input.

In this case, Redline MTL/MT90 is somewhat accepted by the old guard here as settled law. However, at seemingly predictable intervals, a newcomer posts the question about transmission oil. Us long timers here simply respond "Redline" and consider it done. Then the "still to be converted" offer up sources for GL1 and the free-for-all ensues. On this occasion, RacerX simply 'cut to the chase', all with good intentions. Knowing him and the good people here, I am sure there was no intent to step on anyone's toes.

The comments regarding my credentials did make me smile but are in fact accurate if not incomplete. I have been building X1/9 transmissions for more than 25 years and have built more than any one I have any knowledge of. And I did a lot more than just rebuild these. I did a lot of experimentation and testing. I have also built many of these transmissions for fellow racers in addition to my own race units.

The truth be told, it was my X1/9 transmission business that got me into my Aamco Transmission businesses. I have built specialty transmissions and racing transmissions for everything from vintage Ferraris to ultra-modern Quaife sequential units. Along the way my transmissions have won championships in everything from road racing to NASCAR (yep).

I have been involved in racing for more than a couple of decades and in fact work in that industry now. My passion has been these cars since I got my first X1/9 in 1978. I am here only to share that passion and help other so afflicted.

As to the Redline recommendation. I have tested lots of different oils in X1/9 transmissions and inspected the results (not just how it feels when shifting) and know Redline to be the real deal. During a stint with a NASCAR team, Redline was one of our primary sponsors. That relationship got me access to redline engineers where I learned a lot about their products. That's where my knowledge comes from and why I recommend it.

As you can probably guess, in all of that time I saw a lot of GL1. I have also learned a lot about modern lubricants and I can tell you that GL1 is to modern gear oils as an adding machine is to the newest I-7 pentium PC. GL1 has been around since the 1940s. While it worked fine in its day, lubrication technology has come a long way since. With the modern technology available today I would never consider using it in an X1/9 if there was most anything else available. As I noted, if you don't have Redline available, Castrol 20w50 isn't a bad alternative. I used it for years before I discovered Reline's MTL/MT90.

I hope you finish your car soon so you can get to enjoying driving it.

Hi Steve

I was going to put Steve Hoelscher forgot more about transmissions than most people will ever know Kidding of cores but I didn't know how you would've taken it.I totally respect you and knowing more about you I respect and trust your recommendations more than ever .
when I mad a post cutting right to the chase I meant no disrespect to anyone it's I just have so much passion for the X1/9 that I want to help everyone to do the vary best for there car.

HAHAHA... Thanks a lot ///Mike...

Ya beat the snot outta old (and I do mean OLD...) Ian with that one.

It was worth being the brunt of the joke just ta see him out-done!

HAHAHAHAHA!

Back