Trivia anyone?

rx1900

1981 X1/9
Hi folks. Took some neat pics. on the weekend. Thought one would make a fun "can you name this car" quiz.

Now I think identifying the car will be a little too easy for us Canadians (i'll explain later) so lets see if any of the Yanks are able to identify it first. Canucks feel free to PM me with the answer.

So folks - what is the grayish hatchback on the far left of the picture? And what engine did it have?

Good luck!

Last edited:
Hey, if you want to upload pics, just first go to a website like:

http://imageshack.us/

Then just upload the file and get the direct link when it is done. Then you just come on Xweb and click the Insert image icon, and copy in that link.

I may have figured it out

picture621u.jpg

Last edited:
Innocenti Mini

Its one of those Innocenti Minis. Styled by Bertone. Made by Innocenti Leyland. I think it had a 1300cc IIRC.

Robert beat me to it... but he's Canadian so per your rules it doesn't count... :)

Its an Italian restyled "Mini"... by Innocenti.. sold in the mid '70s.

I'm familiar because a few of these will typically show up at the big annual Stowe, VT "British Invasion" weekend car show (which is this coming weekend)... and they always have Canadian plates...

here is one

Robert beat me to it... but he's Canadian so per your rules it doesn't count... :)

Its an Italian restyled "Mini"... by Innocenti.. sold in the mid '70s.

I'm familiar because a few of these will typically show up at the big annual Stowe, VT "British Invasion" weekend car show (which is this coming weekend)... and they always have Canadian plates...

with a California plates.

from F&I show 2006

Yes of course its an....

...Innocenti. Congrats to all who at least got that part right.

Innocenti, based near Turin, was best known for producing copies - under license - of the Austin Mini in the sixties and seventies.

In the mid seventies Innocenti was purchased by De Tomaso - yes that De Tomaso - and engaged none other than our good friend Bertone to design them a fresh new car to replace the now aged Mini. The result was as shown in Ricardo's photo. They still used the ancient BL A series engine in 998 or 1275cc form. What I don't know is if the rest of the chassis-brakes-suspension-etc was fresh or still - I suspect - Mini based.

In around 1982 they introduced a freshened 2nd series with revised bodywork and trim and changed the engine and transmission to - of all things - a Japanese Daihatsu 3 cyl 1000cc motor. Later came a turbo version, a 3 cyl diesel, and a 2 cyl 650cc mill, all Daihatsa sourced.

This 2nd series, in 1000cc (regular and turbo!) were sold officially here in Canada - though a dealer network - from about 1984-1986. One of these, of course, is the car shown in my photo.

I don't believe that they were ever marketed in the U.S. but in a strange twist I think you folks got the same drivetrains in a Daihatsu Charade, maybe west coast U.S. only? Here, north of the border, we never got any Daihatsu's.

As for model name, I don't recall our cars ever having any badging other than "Innocenti". Elsewhere in the world thay seem to be referred to as "Nuova (new) Mini" or "Innocenti De Tomaso".

In the late eighties, Innocenti became part of the FIAT empire. Production of the Mini based cars was wound down and replaced by rebadged South American sourced FIATs.

By the late nineties this too was wound down and the famed Innocenti name, like many before it, faded into the Italian sunset....

One of the Canadian sold turbos would probably make a neat stablemate for an X1/9 - both Bertone designed, Italian, a kinda-sorta FIAT connection, unique (when was the last time you saw one?), and with 71 hp pushing only 1500 lbs might be somewhat - hey I did say somewhat - entertaining to drive.

And if you're into car shows, you could bring the wife and kids, and probably get exhibitor status at either Italian or British or Japanese days!

Cheers, Doug

Yes, Quattrorules...

picture617a.jpg
picture618w.jpg
picture608t.jpg
...this picture is from Stratford. If you haven't been there for a while you'd notice a big change. A year or two ago the town made him clean up the place and about 80% of the cars are gone.

He only kept the best ones like...

picture604w.jpg

Back